Geese and barley..

NiteHawk

Chirping
May 11, 2018
I do not have any geese, (although I am considering it) I am wondering if geese do okay on dry rolled barley, along with oyster shell . or maybe a combination of oats and rolled barley...We have long winters where grass and pasture would not be available, and being remote, fancy feed that is available in the bigger centers is not available around here.. Of course summer time they would have anything they can pick up in the pasture-grass, bugs etc ,-- just wondering what kind of feed they do well on..
Thanks for the replies..

I do not have any geese, (although I am considering it) I am wondering if geese do okay on dry rolled barley, along with oyster shell . or maybe a combination of oats and rolled barley...We have long winters where grass and pasture would not be available, and being remote, fancy feed that is available in the bigger centers is not available around here.. Of course summer time they would have anything they can pick up in the pasture-grass, bugs etc ,-- just wondering what kind of feed they do well on..
Thanks for the replies..
When winter hits I’ll feed mine a 16% all flock.

Where are you located? It's not really a fancy feed, it's a complete feed. A complete feed has the protein, vitamins, and minerals that a bird needs to thrive and grow.

we live 47 miles "in the bush" from the nearest very small town, in Canada, and selection on many many items is very limited.
That is why I am asking if geese can do okay on barley or maybe barley /oats combo

we live 47 miles "in the bush" from the nearest very small town, in Canada, and selection on many many items is very limited.
That is why I am asking if geese can do okay on barley or maybe barley /oats combo
Is there a feed mill in the area? Whole seeds store longer than crumble/pellets and a feed mill can formulate a a mix for your needs. Do you not supplement grass with feed? My geese are on feed even when there is grass.

My geese will eat barley, not crazy about oats. Prefer wheat. You are better off storing hay for feeding geese in the winter. Can be just about anything. Grass, alfalfa, cereal grains or even corn stalks. I budget about 1Kg pér bird per day on top of about 1C of feed.

The nearest feed mill that I am aware of is approximately a good 150-175 miles away....
So Percheron chick-- you in effect you are saying that you simply store hay like you would for a cow or horse and feed your geese hay and a bit of grain on the side??? our climate can be a bit rough at times, so I am sure a bit of grain would definitely help them out a lot...

Geese are grass and weed eaters. Only natural that they will consume hay when grass is not available. Whatever I have for the horses is what the geese get. Usually grass or alfalfa but in times of shortages they might get oat, triticale, barley or rye hay. I use grain to bait them back to their pen or they are more than happy to stay out. Right now there is no grass so they have hay available. The feed also provides added vitamins and minerals that is missing in the dried forage.

Back
Top Bottom