Geese and ducklings, who to keep together?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
Hi all, I find myself raising 13 ducks and a gosling since they hatched a little over a month ago. We’re very attached to the gosling. Glory wasn’t strong enough to hatch on their own and had to be assisted, and then my friend that hatched the goslings felt like Glory was too fragile to be in the brooder with much larger stronger siblings. So, Glory at just a few hours old came to me and has lived with my ducklings since day one. We’re all solidly bonded but coming up soon is deciding who of the 13 ducklings to keep. Glory the gosling is definitely staying, such a sweet and loving gosling. We should find out Glory’s sex next week via a blood dna test we mailed off.

I’m just doing this for pets. Originally I was thinking of keeping a few drakes but would this work okay long term if Glory is a girl? Also if Glory is a boy, would they do okay with just female ducks?

I just want a small, happy flock. Eggs are great but not a requirement. I’m slightly more bonded to my drakes, five sweet males. But either way I want either all make or all female ducks, plus Glory.

Gender combo advice please. Ducks are Fawn and white Indian runners. Glory’s parents are a mix of Grey pilgrim and Sebastopol and are also incredibly sweet. Glory loves to be held and petted, is an angel with young kids, and was sweet with every new person they’ve met, and also very happy in the pen with the ducklings. I don’t have other birds.

How old are they all? Everything will change when birds sexually mature. Males will fight, and mate females often. If your goose is a gander it could hurt the ducks trying to mate. I would wait and see what sexes of your birds are. If possible I would get the goose a goose mate.

Back
Top Bottom