Geese & Chickens - Can they live together?

My geese really pay no attention to the chickens, I suppose it depends on the bird. They each have their own personlities. Two geese would be nice, though. They really bond and make families that last a lifetime.

I am planing on having Australorps and I wanted to raise a goose for Christmas dinner. It sounds like I would need at least two. I am planning to buy Embdens. Would a breeding pair be okay with maybe a third for Christmas? How often do they breed? I really don't want to raise geese but I wouldn't be opposed to a pair raising a small family once a year. How feasible is this? And how much room would the geese need?

I am planing on having Australorps and I wanted to raise a goose for Christmas dinner. It sounds like I would need at least two. I am planning to buy Embdens. Would a breeding pair be okay with maybe a third for Christmas? How often do they breed? I really don't want to raise geese but I wouldn't be opposed to a pair raising a small family once a year. How feasible is this? And how much room would the geese need?
The geese need quite a bit of room, as the majority of their diet consists of roughage (grass, clover, whatever other greens they can get their bill on). If you live in a area with lots of neighbours, geese can be very loud.

You may have just as good luck raising muscovy for meat. They are quiet, need less space, and their meat is supposed to be top knotch. They are as much geese as duck, so that's why I mentioned them.

Also, do you have dogs? Embdens are not dog friendly geese.

Production Toulouse may be a good breed of goose for you, as their temperament is better than an Embden from what I've heard.

Good luck!

Quote:

Last edited:
Awww! Ya know, I love silkies and that is a very clever name- Mr. Yetti! Haha, Cute! My silkie's name is Eglantine.
smile.png

I have three goslings and they just plucked my BB White turkey poult half naked. Had to separate them. There had been some squabbling but nothing serious, then I found the turkey plucked one morning. So, geese can be aggressive with other birds even while babies. I also found them trapping the smaller BB Bronze turkeys into the water container and not letting them out.

I have three goslings and they just plucked my BB White turkey poult half naked. Had to separate them. There had been some squabbling but nothing serious, then I found the turkey plucked one morning. So, geese can be aggressive with other birds even while babies. I also found them trapping the smaller BB Bronze turkeys into the water container and not letting them out.
I'd diff separate them, my geese are not very tolerant of the chickens and ducks right now since it's mating season. and young goslings will feather pick pretty bad, maybe try giving them some toys even an unbreakable mirror might distract them from picking out each others feathers, yep they can even do it to each other,.

The geese are very happy now in their Goose Coup (a large chicken tractor) because they get fresh pasture 3 times a day - but they are not tolerant of any other birds including ducklings. Big meanies! Turns out I have 2 Africans and 1 Toulouse.

My 7-month-old Toulouse geese are very protective of my girls. In fact, while waiting for a coop to be built outside, they all sleep in the garage at night; the hens do go into a coop in the garage. Everyone gets along fantastic. My only problem is with my 7-month-old Polish roo. He is a small, handsome and friendly guy towards humans but " picks" on my year old hen. We really need to find him a good home. Am trying but in my area, no one wants a rooster:( Poor Peter. If anyone knows of someone who could help me, it would be much appreciated. :)

My 7-month-old Toulouse geese are very protective of my girls. In fact, while waiting for a coop to be built outside, they all sleep in the garage at night; the hens do go into a coop in the garage. Everyone gets along fantastic. My only problem is with my 7-month-old Polish roo. He is a small, handsome and friendly guy towards humans but " picks" on my year old hen. We really need to find him a good home. Am trying but in my area, no one wants a rooster:( Poor Peter. If anyone knows of someone who could help me, it would be much appreciated.
smile.png
you might try posting about your roo here.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Back
Top Bottom