1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

geese do they really HELP

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Blueroo63, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    can anyone tell me does having Geese running around really keep the snakes at bay.I have 4 ponds on my place and about a acre lake rihgt by my house get lotss of snakes ,water moscin,copper heads bad snke and I was told geese will kill them

2. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I have never seen that. I still had just as many last year after getting geese.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I think if you had an infestation of toddlers, the geese might make a difference....

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I hear guineas kill snakes. I just passed it through official channels and dh has decided that I can have a flock o' guineas to run around the place and rid us of unwanted bugs and snakes! [​IMG]

5. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    thanks all because I don't really want geese just don't want to keep dealing with the bad snakes I killed atleast 10 last year,and no guinney's to much noise.i like quite

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

i doubt the snakes will do anything, but watch out for snapping turtles.

In late summer 07 I let my geese out for the day. They went right down to the pond, I heard some screaming, and when they walked past me I noticed my one girls upper beak totally ripped off up into her sinus cavity. sadly i had no other choice but to put her to sleep.

7. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Guineas will probably help.
    What state are you in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by