geese food....what kind??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jackrooster, Oct 17, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Im getting some oregon mini geese ...what do i feed them??

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am just going to throw out there - maybe FlockRaiser?

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I give my geese game bird starter and I've read tons of threads about too much protein BUT I let mine out to graze real early. They eat a lot of grass, plants and roots.

I've never had a problem with them.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i make my own feed mix but i think flock raiser is the best type you could buy

5. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    For goslings up to 5-6 weeks of age they need around a 20 percent protein, non-medicated chicken crumble. After that time you can drop them down to a lower protein feed. Anywhere from around 14-17 percent protein. Good luck with your new geese [​IMG]

6. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    We feed ours just regular chickens pellets!

7. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I was thinking.....what i give my ducks......it a mix of ......gamebird crumble, layer pellet, whole oats,rolled oat, crack corn and some dry cat food/dog food..... and alfelfa cube on the side that have been socked in water??

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Some geese are picky eaters and will pick out what they like best and leave the rest. Mine have eaten everything you have on your list but if fed the mix described (with no free ranging) the alfalfa cubes would go first followed by the pellets and grains the crumbles and rolled oats are often a problem for them to pick up so they end up in the bottom.

9. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I have a 30 lb feeder full of laying mash..a 30 lb feeder of cracked corn and a feeder of flock raiser. they eat what they want and get plenty of grass to graze on.
    The geese seem to prefer the flock raiser (tractor supply) and the chickens prefer laying mash. they all eat the corn

10. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I had been wondering if they would eat cracked corn. I give it to my chickens and have avoided giving it to my geese because I didn't know if they can have it. Mine prefer to eat pellets over crumbles though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by