Geese Housing

Does anyone keep their geese inside for the winter? or inside, and letting them out sometimes? Does anyone have any good plans for a hay rack for geese?
Last year I used a square tomato cage as a hay rack for the geese -- they really enjoyed pulling the grass hay out -- i had it in their yard under a covered area so even in the snow it stayed dry. I think I used about 2 bales for 8 geese for the worst months -they still had a yard, but the ground was mostly snow covered. I didn't really consider it as part of their feed, although I'm sure they probably had some value from it.

Last year I used a square tomato cage as a hay rack for the geese -- they really enjoyed pulling the grass hay out -- i had it in their yard under a covered area so even in the snow it stayed dry. I think I used about 2 bales for 8 geese for the worst months -they still had a yard, but the ground was mostly snow covered. I didn't really consider it as part of their feed, although I'm sure they probably had some value from it.
That's a good idea. Mine love to nibble on it too, even my ducks and chickens like to nibble it. What ever left in the spring goes on the ground for them to lay on. They like that too.

I put a whole bale on a wooden pallet in a corner then lean a heavy gate over it (wire with 1 inch gaps) as they pull the hay through, the gate moves down. When it gets low I take the gate out so they don't get trapped by it. I also use this for when they're nesting but leave a gap behind the bale for them to nest behind. They pull the bale apart to build their nest.

I have some pieces of welded wire with 2" X4" hole in it. I might be able to just tyrap the ends together to make a circle and fill it full of hay, so they can eat through the holes

I have sheep who have a big paddock and eat second cut hay twice a day. Could the geese live with them and eat the same hay?
I don't know much about hay but have read geese need soft grass hay like timothy, or they can get impacted and they don't like alfalfa don't know if that helps. I bought timothy and other soft grass hay for my geese but had to get rid of it because one of my chickens got an impacted crop from eating it.

Last edited:
My 3 have been stuck inside for about a month now.
Cleaned their little barn 2 weeks ago. The snow is so high here I couldn't possibly push the wheelbarrow through the snow to where it gets dumped.
I add fresh straw every evening so it's dry which isn't too bad since Reebok and Piper seem to hang right outside the barn door at the back of the garage.
They have water all over the back floor of the garage but using wood chips to combat that.
I also have guinea pigs that eat orchard grass hay from Oxbow. I have it shipped 50 lbs at a time. The pigs love it, the geese eat it, no rack of any type just fresh added every evening. It is so soft that any that the pigs get outside their cage on the floor goes up the sweeper easily.
When the weather breaks it will ba a couple hour project to clean the mess up but I have to admit its nice having their little barn attached to the back of the garage. In this weather it's never terribly cold, rarely get ice on top of the water and I don't have to go out to take care of them.
On the down side there are times Piper "knocks" on the kitchen door or stands right outside and honks. I think she wonders if I can come out and hang out.
Linda,
Reebok, Oliver and Piper

My 3 have been stuck inside for about a month now.
Cleaned their little barn 2 weeks ago. The snow is so high here I couldn't possibly push the wheelbarrow through the snow to where it gets dumped.
I add fresh straw every evening so it's dry which isn't too bad since Reebok and Piper seem to hang right outside the barn door at the back of the garage.
They have water all over the back floor of the garage but using wood chips to combat that.
I also have guinea pigs that eat orchard grass hay from Oxbow. I have it shipped 50 lbs at a time. The pigs love it, the geese eat it, no rack of any type just fresh added every evening. It is so soft that any that the pigs get outside their cage on the floor goes up the sweeper easily.
When the weather breaks it will ba a couple hour project to clean the mess up but I have to admit its nice having their little barn attached to the back of the garage. In this weather it's never terribly cold, rarely get ice on top of the water and I don't have to go out to take care of them.
On the down side there are times Piper "knocks" on the kitchen door or stands right outside and honks. I think she wonders if I can come out and hang out.
Linda,
Reebok, Oliver and Piper
That sounds like some very nicely spoiled animals you have there.
smile.png
Since she's knocking on the kitchen door maybe she wants to come inside and visit.

She definitely wants to come in and visit.
Some nights if I don't mind the extra work I simply open the door and invite her in
Those little feet go plop, plop and there she is in the kitchen. She helps me get their salad ready. Gets a few leaves of lettuce while I cut up the rest.
When I do their bread, which is toasted a little first then broke in pieces she will stand right next to me in what I call heel position..(dog trainer here). It's a riot. I won't look at her and she will tug on my shirt. Without looking I hand her a little piece of bread. She eats it, tugs on my shirt, and so the game goes.
I have to put up a gate to keep her in the kitchen because she thinks she should go and feel everything. Problem is I have dogs and cats also and she will go after them.
I lost my oldest Doberman this Tuesday past but still have a younger one and a big GSD. They all stay out of her way but she goes after them.
She is definitely a character.
Linda,
Reebok, Oliver And Piper

She definitely wants to come in and visit.
Some nights if I don't mind the extra work I simply open the door and invite her in
Those little feet go plop, plop and there she is in the kitchen. She helps me get their salad ready. Gets a few leaves of lettuce while I cut up the rest.
When I do their bread, which is toasted a little first then broke in pieces she will stand right next to me in what I call heel position..(dog trainer here). It's a riot. I won't look at her and she will tug on my shirt. Without looking I hand her a little piece of bread. She eats it, tugs on my shirt, and so the game goes.
I have to put up a gate to keep her in the kitchen because she thinks she should go and feel everything. Problem is I have dogs and cats also and she will go after them.
I lost my oldest Doberman this Tuesday past but still have a younger one and a big GSD. They all stay out of her way but she goes after them.
She is definitely a character.
Linda,
Reebok, Oliver And Piper
I'm sorry you lost your Dobie they are great dogs. Piper sounds like are real sweetie, they just don't know they shouldn't go picking on members of the family. lol

Back
Top Bottom