Geese Housing

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bantams galore, Dec 8, 2014.

1. bantams galore

bantams galore Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Yes, I did a search first, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I am purchasing a trio of Pilgrim Geese in the spring. They will only be goslings. However, I want to make sure that I have all the things I need for them by the time they grow up.

I need to keep these geese confined. I live in Canada, so we have real winter. I am looking for some ideas on how to confine them. I basicly need a house with a run area. I am hoping to learn how large a building and exercise area they need for the winter and nights. Any ideas, pictures any help appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 4 geese inside this house [​IMG]they have access to an half acre fenced in property so can't help with pen. 54"wide by 77"long I have 2 Toulouse 1 Buff and a large Embden gander,That sleep inside this house nightly.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    Does anyone keep their geese inside for the winter? or inside, and letting them out sometimes? Does anyone have any good plans for a hay rack for geese?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't keep mine in during the day I open their door and leave it open so they have access to their house all they want but the don't go inside till i lock them up in the evening. I'd think if I lived in northern states where there are blizzards I'd probably keep them in on those days, but geese are very hardy and as long as they have a choice of getting inside if they want I'd say they do pretty well in all kinds of weather.

I made my own holder for the bale of hay using plastic fencing like this except it is the dark green I laid it out on the ground laid the bale of hay in it then cut and used tie wraps to close it up all around like you'd wrap a present. works great.I hung it under the wood shed to keep it dry.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    for some reason the pic wouldn't come up on the post I just did. I bought the fencing at Lowes
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. Skytopz

Skytopz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I live in NH with plenty of predators - foxes, coyotes, owls, bears, raccoons, etc. so i had to put a lot of thought into my goose enclosure. This is my current goose house (the green house on the right, left is for the chickens). It's a 20x20 fenced in area with a 4x8 shed that i lock them in at night. the fence is 5' tall with two strands of electric wire on top and aviary netting over the whole thing (to keep owls out). I also dug the fence down to prevent digging. This winter I've confined them to that area alone, but during the summer I used electric netting to provide a secure grazing area - approx. 60'x100'. I really wanted an area that i could leave them in if i went on vacation, etc., knowing that they would be safe. I hope this helps - I know i went a bit overkill but couldn't help it - I've really grown to love these guys and would be heartbroken if anything happened.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You did a great job and I really don't think there is over kill when protecting our flocks, I still don't know if I could go on vacation even with all you've done. lol I am really obsessed. Lovely geese and
    Welcome to BYC.

8. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank-you all for the ideas and pictures. I like the hay rack idea, a place to put the whole bale. I hadn't even thought about that. I was thinking about filling it daily.

I like the idea of the 20X20 pen. I will have to give that some thought. I was thinking green house hoops, wit welded wire on the bottom of the hoops and netting over the top, but don't know where to get the hoops, so I like the thought of the pen. I see three geese in the picture, so You only run a trio too?

You are giving me lots to think about.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  9. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    Do your geese nest, set and raise their own young?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My goose has brooded 2 yrs in a row, but this past year she actually had one egg get to hatch and it died in the shell. So sad. But We went and got 2 day old goslings and her and my gander adopted them both. They are now 6 months old now my gander is 7.5 yrs old and I am beginning to wonder about his fertility.
    They are wonderful broody's and awesome parents. The whole flock of geese cares for the goslings.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by