Geese with almost no feathers, bare skin, sores and underweight

GandalfGoose

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Last spring I brooded a set of six goslings for a friend of mine because they wanted to try geese, but didn't have the equipment to brood them. I gave the geese to them when they were a couple months old and out of the brooder. They have had them since then. I believe the six of them are three boys and three girls. When I gave the geese to them they had a run in shelter for them and a more protected pen to be locked in at night. Now they look terrible because they have almost no feathers and in some spots just bare skin and sores and are about half the weight they should be. They are presently kept in one smallish paddock 24/7, they supposedly get free choice pelleted duck feed, have a kiddie pool for water, but have absolutely nothing for shelter, not even a wind break and are exposed to the elements completely. I recently got two of them back and had to take the one to the vet because it had an abscess that was probably left untreated for two months and was turning into sepsis, but that one is getting better now that those two are back with me. The two that are back with me are eating like crazy now that they have full bowls of food, hay and access to grass just like all my other ones do. I was told that they were beating up on each other (only at night) and that is why they are in such bad condition and that predators could not be the problem at all even though they have lost 30+ ducks to predators and 4 of the goslings that their geese had this year so far. My two questions are, is the condition of these geese from them beating each other up, from predators harassing them at night, or something else I'm not thinking of? I wanted to buy all of them back because all I hear is complaints about them and I don't like the condition they are in but was told that I couldn't buy them back. What are anyone's suggestions for dealing with this situation as I would like to continue to be friends with them, but geese are just not something I think that they should own and would like to make the geese and everyone else have a good out come in this situation if possible. Please HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last spring I brooded a set of six goslings for a friend of mine because they wanted to try geese, but didn't have the equipment to brood them. I gave the geese to them when they were a couple months old and out of the brooder. They have had them since then. I believe the six of them are three boys and three girls. When I gave the geese to them they had a run in shelter for them and a more protected pen to be locked in at night. Now they look terrible because they have almost no feathers and in some spots just bare skin and sores and are about half the weight they should be. They are presently kept in one smallish paddock 24/7, they supposedly get free choice pelleted duck feed, have a kiddie pool for water, but have absolutely nothing for shelter, not even a wind break and are exposed to the elements completely. I recently got two of them back and had to take the one to the vet because it had an abscess that was probably left untreated for two months and was turning into sepsis, but that one is getting better now that those two are back with me. The two that are back with me are eating like crazy now that they have full bowls of food, hay and access to grass just like all my other ones do. I was told that they were beating up on each other (only at night) and that is why they are in such bad condition and that predators could not be the problem at all even though they have lost 30+ ducks to predators and 4 of the goslings that their geese had this year so far. My two questions are, is the condition of these geese from them beating each other up, from predators harassing them at night, or something else I'm not thinking of? I wanted to buy all of them back because all I hear is complaints about them and I don't like the condition they are in but was told that I couldn't buy them back. What are anyone's suggestions for dealing with this situation as I would like to continue to be friends with them, but geese are just not something I think that they should own and would like to make the geese and everyone else have a good out come in this situation if possible. Please HELP!!!

I'd say the feather loss and horrible condition is from mistreatment. Being locked in a cage 24/7 will do horrible things to an animal or person. They're probably extremely stressed. You need to take all of the geese back or have your friends change their ways. Get all those birds to a vet.

I have been trying to get one or the other of those things to happen, but for some reason they will not let me take them back even though they don't like them. They like the one goose that never hisses or does anything but keep away from them and wants them all to be like that. I keep telling them that isn't the way that geese are and I just want them back if they are unhappy with typical goose behavior.

I have been trying to get one or the other of those things to happen, but for some reason they will not let me take them back even though they don't like them. They like the one goose that never hisses or does anything but keep away from them and wants them all to be like that. I keep telling them that isn't the way that geese are and I just want them back if they are unhappy with typical goose behavior. 

Please call someone. At this point YOU are their voice and you need to stick up for them.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom