Gelded donkey biting 4 month old foal

JessDigNC

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
North Carolina
We have a 2 year old (recently) gelded male. He is in the pasture with a jenny and her foal (another jenny). We had him first and moved the jenny in a few weeks later, she foaled the very first day after she arrived. So the dynamic has always been the 3 of them. They have been getting along fine, the mom had been very protective and food aggressive, but otherwise there haven't been any problems. I've even seen the male playing with the baby, running and chasing, baby would even buck her head and antagonize him. However recently, I have watched him grab her or bite her by the neck and hold on while she's trying to get away. I'm not sure if he thinks he is playing, but it looks like he's being too rough. They will go around in the circles for several seconds until he finally let's her loose. The mom has not recently been following as close to prevent these incidents. Is this typical/playful behavior or should I be concerned for the little one?

No experience with donkeys, but my horse gelding and his little "nephew" (my 7 month old colt) bite each other. Not aggressively, but still, teeth on skin and hold. None of my mares do this. So I feel like boy equines are just more playful and rough than girl equines LOL! And Chickens Really is probably right too!

How aggressive is he being with her? I have known donkeys to kill other animals that were smaller than they and to whom they have taken a dislike to. I have no idea whether your donkey is being hostile or if he is just asserting dominance. If I were you I would keep a close eye on him and if he gets too rough I would separate them.

Neck biting in donkeys is either fighting or playing. It's one reason to be careful mixing donkeys with other species as the donkey can kill goats and sheep.

I've always run all sexes and ages together and I haven't had a problem except for 2 adult jacks fighting. Those were kept separately.

Boy donkeys like to rough house more than the females, so my guess is he's trying to play. If it looks too rough you may need to separate him out for a while. Otherwise mom should take care of her foal.

Back
Top Bottom