tabs_flock

Songster
Jun 29, 2021
Oakley, CA
Hey all!

It's been a while (insert guitar chord here) and having a flock of hens has been amazing. The problem has been el doggo.

Y'see I got a doggo in December. I love him very much. He's a German Shepherd/Husky mix and is about 10 mos old. The problem: he has a significant prey drive. I'm fairly certain I can shape his behavior so he is more protective of the hens but also am not entirely sure HOW to do that. Any resources or advice would be great! I'm getting 3 more chicks to add to the flock soon and want to think ab out how to acclimate him to them as I hand raise them and prep them for the yard.

If you have not obedience trained him, do so immediately. The prey drive of husky or husky crosses is extreme.
I've been working on training out that prey drive but it's been tough (see my knees, he's pulled me over a few times)

What I am finding the hardest is that he is not food or treat motivated and so it is proving a challenge to train him. Hence....how do I re direct that drive when I bring these chicks into my home? There is a way but what is it?

Back
Top Bottom