gender? 6 weeks. Cuckoo Maran, SS Hamburg

dskchickie

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012

Maran and SS Hamburg

Trying to post the best pics. Might have to take a few more today when they're outside.

I sure hope so! And actually, that SS Hamburg is 8 weeks, the maran is 6. They are so pretty!! The Maran seems to be developing spikes on top of it's head though... :)

So far looks like two girls. And remember, Marans always has an S at the end, plural or not. And another thing, if you ever find yourself buying Cuckoo or Barred colored anything again, if they're baby chicks, you can sex them immediately by the size of the white dot on their head. Males have a large, spread out splotch while females have a small little white dot, more uniform and less messy looking.

if you ever find yourself buying Cuckoo or Barred colored anything again, if they're baby chicks, you can sex them immediately by the size of the white dot on their head. Males have a large, spread out splotch while females have a small little white dot, more uniform and less messy looking.
This is correct! I just rehomed a marans boy and after reading Illia's post I went back to a picture of him and the girl when they were chicks...sure enough...two different spots.

Oh - cool! Good to know. I hatched this Marans. And I love it's colors! I think that's the Marans on the far right next to the side wall of the brooder. White spot!!

Back
Top Bottom