Gender and Age

I’m certainly no chicken expert, but the size of that coop area is unacceptable for 7 chickens. I personally wouldn’t put more than 2 in an area that small, but I could see someone making them really cramped with 4. I would be very concerned for all of your chickens. They won’t be able to move when they are full grown. Have you seen how big a full grown rooster is? It doesn’t matter the sex of these chickens at this point. The focus should be on providing adequate room for them to be happy chickens! Do you have any room to expand the area, or can you re-home a few of them? Also, is there shade for them all day? Where I live, it is starting to get very hot, and my chickens would die in the setup you have on a hot day if they weren’t beneath some trees.
I said in the beginning that the barred pullet looked ill. Which bird did you lose?

Their setup is too small. I'm not saying that's why you lost one, but I guarantee thats why they're cannibalizing each other.
Is the run built to the specs that it's giving each chicken 4 sq ft?idid the calculations.

And what is that big pool under the house? It's taking up space which makes the run space even smaller.
Converting centimeters to feet you have 8.6 sq.ft. in the coop and 38.3 sq.ft. in the run. Taking into consideration the recommendation of at least 4 sq.ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq.ft. per bird in the run the coop is large enough for two birds and the run is large enough for three (maybe four) birds.
Overo was right that was the chicken that died. I went to the vet today and they saw that she had worms inside and clogging in the intestines so they gave me a deworming and vitamins and told me what I should do, also they said to put salt in their food because that chicken picked herself and she wasn’t getting picked.

For the size of the coop, now I can’t make it bigger but I guess they are fine but I might make it bigger in a couple of weeks max and I’m planing on making the whole box their home entirely. Then I’ll just let them out and they can have the whole area to walk in.
And yes off course I have shade from the sun they barely get direct sunlight maybe only for 3-4 hours when it’s during sunset because of my location and country. P.S. I’m not in the states😋
So the directions of the sun and in the location with the above green material lets indirect sunlight pass and only at the bottom and direct sunlight get in a little bit like 50cm max in the run.

Last edited:
Overo was right that was the chicken that died. I went to the vet today and they saw that she had worms inside and clogging in the intestines so they gave me a deworming and vitamins and told me what I should do, also they said to put salt in their food because that chicken picked herself and she wasn’t getting picked.

For the size of the coop, now I can’t make it bigger but I guess they are fine but I might make it bigger in a couple of weeks max and I’m planing on making the whole box their home entirely. Then I’ll just let them out and they can have the whole area to walk in.
And yes off course I have shade from the sun they barely get direct sunlight maybe only for 3-4 hours when it’s during sunset because of my location and country. P.S. I’m not in the states😋
So the directions of the sun and in the location with the above green material lets indirect sunlight pass and only at the bottom and direct sunlight get in a little bit like 50cm max in the run.
Do not put salt in their food! Birds cannot process salt. Maybe consult a different vet about the worms.

Definitely get that coop and run bigger as quickly as possible. This will stop the feather picking.

There's no way to know she was picking herself unless you specifically saw that. With the small coop and run I 100% believe a different chicken was plucking her. If you would like to tell us where you are located we may be able to help with what dewormer may be best but salt is NOT a way to get rid of worms. It's a way to get rid of your birds.

There's no way to know she was picking herself unless you specifically saw that. With the small coop and run I 100% believe a different chicken was plucking her. If you would like to tell us where you are located we may be able to help with what dewormer may be best but salt is NOT a way to get rid of worms. It's a way to get rid of your birds.
I’m in Lebanon. The salt is not for deworming it’s to make them thirstier and make them drink more wanter that has the deworming powder inside

Salt will kill birds. They are not equipped to process it. Let me tag someone to see if they have any idea what's available in Lebanon for wormer.

@casportpony @Wyorp Rock, either of you know anything about what may be available in Lebanon for deworming?

Back
Top Bottom