Gender and Breed Quiz (For learning purposes!)

Pics
Aren't New Hampshire reds that colour? I think I should be in the hopeless club too

New hampshire reds are a lot lighter. Rhode Islands are best described as mahogany in color. A good RIR should have a nice, dark, mahogany color to it. New Hampshires, on the other hand, have more of an orange-red color. It can be hard to distinguish the two when they are not close to their breed standards. In that case, they would probably just be considered a production red.

Notice how the New Hampshire Red (top) has a more lighter, orange color to her than the Rhode Island Red (bottom).

Th
No, you were right the first time! :thumbsup  RIR come in SC and Rose Comb, that particular hen has a rose comb! Welsummers are very much different, in color and body type. For one, welsummers are not a single color. They have a more " dirt brown" color than the "reddish brown" of a rhode island red. They also have white streaks through their feathers. On top of that, they have a yellow-orange hackle feather coloring. Rhode Island Reds (good ones) have a "brick shape" to them. Also, note the tail angle, and how it is almost flat with the body. On a welsummer, you want the tail to come up more than that. 

Thanks for the info. On both breeds! Wellsummer was a long shot, then
1f604.png
I should have kept quiet after the first guess
1f62c.png

olympicchicks, come right in
1f600.png

New hampshire reds are a lot lighter. Rhode Islands are best described as mahogany in color. A good RIR should have a nice, dark, mahogany color to it. New Hampshires, on the other hand, have more of an orange-red color. It can be hard to distinguish the two when they are not close to their breed standards. In that case, they would probably just be considered a production red. Notice how the New Hampshire Red (top) has a more lighter, orange color to her than the Rhode Island Red (bottom).
Oh yes i see it now, I prefer the little banties so these aren't really my thing

Th
Thanks for the info. On both breeds! Wellsummer was a long shot, then
1f604.png
I should have kept quiet after the first guess
1f62c.png

olympicchicks, come right in
1f600.png

Haha, don't keep quiet, thats how you learn! The amount of chicken breeds and color variations within the breed and similarities between breeds is mind boggling! Its not easy to identify chickens...thats what the whole purpose of the thread is!

Back
Top Bottom