Gender and Breed Quiz (For learning purposes!)

Pics

ChickenLover200

Crowing
8 Years
May 10, 2013
I'll be in the barn!
This thread is made for anyone wanting to be more knowledgable on how to tell what breed or gender a chicken is.
PM me if you'd like to "donate" a picture for guessing. First chicken up for guess:
Guess what breed and gender:

Earlobe color is very useful in determining both breed and egg color. White egg layers will have white earlobes, and all other egg layers have red earlobes. A key example of how and why it is important to use earlobe color to determine breed is the Welsummer/Brown Leghorn lookalikes.

Welsummer is on top. Leghorn on bottom. They look virtually identical except for earlobe color, right?

I'll go---here's one of my only purebred birds
smile.png
. And to help you out, I'll tell you it really truly does have feathers on it's legs, they just got worn/broken off.

Yep, he's a rooster. His name is Mel
smile.png
, after Mel Gibson.

Langshan is a very good guess. They have straight combs, white skin and feathered legs, and come in this blue color. But, they're a leggier bird with a more upright stance. This guy is a Marans.

This is a lot of fun. Glad others are participating too. When me and @ChickenLover200 were talking about it, I wasn't sure if I had a good idea or not because no one commented on that thread except US two lol. Thank you chickhenlover200 for starting this off. This is a lot of fun and teaching us things too. And thanks everyone else for participating too. This is going to help me so much.

Back
Top Bottom