Gender barred rock at 6 weeks

CdnMatt

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
hey everyone I may be picking up some barred rocks today that are 6 weeks. They are "straight run" he says.. But I want to be sure I pick the hens and maybe a single rooster.

I have barred rocks and know the hens are a tad darker and the feet are also darker then the roosters. Anything else I should look at so I'm not stuck with all roosters..

The seller says it's hard to sex them at this point ;)

Some strains more difficult than others to sex based on down coloration. I would choose chicks that are at the extremes.

Pullets will have darker and smaller feet. Open wings and look at the bars. Cockerels will have lighter zones that are a lot wider relative to the dark zones when compared to a pullet. Cockerels will have larger combs and wattles. Look at the bill as males should have more yellow bills as well. Cockerels should also be larger often as much by a 1/3. Voices also differ at that age but requires a lot of practice to distinguish (males have deeper voices).

Some strains more difficult than others to sex based on down coloration. I would choose chicks that are at the extremes.

Pullets will have darker and smaller feet. Open wings and look at the bars. Cockerels will have lighter zones that are a lot wider relative to the dark zones when compared to a pullet. Cockerels will have larger combs and wattles. Look at the bill as males should have more yellow bills as well. Cockerels should also be larger often as much by a 1/3. Voices also differ at that age but requires a lot of practice to distinguish (males have deeper voices).

I was about to post the same thing. I couldn't have said it better.

I was about to post the same thing. I couldn't have said it better.

Awesome and you ! I'll give a look on google about the wing bar and what exactly to look at.

The ones in the ad seem to be older then 5-6 weeks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom