Gender? BO, BR, EE

footballcoachmiller

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
Dandridge, TN
I bought 204 chickens on special for $50. 1/3 were BR, 1/3 BO, and 1/3 were EE. They are 12 weeks old and I can't tell thier sex. This is my first flock. I thought most if not all would be roos but I am hoping to get a few hens. I believe they were overstock. I would appreciate any pointers anyone could offer to help me tell the difference between each breed's sex.
chickenpics007.jpg

chickenpics009.jpg

chickenpics011.jpg

chickenpics018.jpg

chickenpics023.jpg

chickenpics025.jpg

the 4th picture looks like a pullet to me. I am not completely sure but the rest look like roosters, sorry. But you do have some very good looking chickens
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
from ky
do you have any that look differnt?
cause it looks like very few,i dont remember seeing one but you may have some

Here are a few more pictures. Tomorrow I will get some better ones. I know I have at least a few that have smaller paler combs. What should I look for in the saddle area at this age to tell the difference? At what age should I be able to easily tell the difference?
Thanks for all the quick responces.
chickenpics004.jpg

chickenpics005.jpg

chickenpics006.jpg

chickenpics009-1.jpg

chickenpics017.jpg

chickenpics020.jpg

wow, i think i saw some buff orp hens, hear is what a barred hen will look like she is quite a bit darker then the roos
20950_p1080215.jpg

Quote:
I agree with americana-chick

The BRs would be the easiest to tell apart, the roos are much lighter colored than the hens. With the BOs, the hens tail feathers usually form out faster while the roos tail feathers tend to look more round kind of like a pom pom, plus the combs on BO roos are usually much larger and redder than the hens combs at that age. And I can't help much with the EEs, I haven't had much experience with them I only have a roo and 5 hens that are near laying, one already has.

I'll try to get some pics of my BRs and BOs tomorrow to better show you the difference between the sexes.

it was straight run correct, it wasnt there frying pan special by chance?
if it was frying pan special, that is code for all other breed of roos that nobody else wants so we will bundle them up and sell for real cheap.

Back
Top Bottom