Gender Confused Hen... ???

delawaregirl09

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Between that stump and you
Well, I have a Delaware Hen that will be two years old in April. She has been laying eggs for me until she went into molt three months ago, and i'm still waiting on a new egg. We have this cross hen that is treated extremely bad by every chicken I have. About a month ago, another cross hen would jump on her and shake her like she was going to breed her. That was as far as it went. Recently, Junebug, the Delaware, actually triesto breed her. She grabs, shakes, and puts her tail down when Screamer (the victim) raises her tail up to accept sperm! Is she just dominating her? Because I find this rather odd... I took a picture to show you...
38360_newstuff_011.jpg

In flock with no rooster, it is not unusual for a dominant hen to take the role of the rooster. Even when it comes to mating. She is not a homosexual, she is merely showing dominance.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've been trying to sell the flock shes in to make room for my younger birds, but they arent laying a lot right now
roll.png
I figure its just a dominance thing, I just wanted to make sure I'm not having problems...

Back
Top Bottom