Gender difference, or breed difference?

GoodGuinea

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi! I'm new to chicks, though I've raised guinea keets before.

3 weeks ago, I bought four pullets from TSC: 1 Leghorn, 1 California White, and 2 Amberlinks. All are doing well, but I suspect one of the bunch is a cockerel. It has a comb much larger and redder than the other three.

I'll attach a photo showing a side-by-side comparison, but the tricky thing is that I've never been able to tell the Leghorn from the Amberlinks. So maybe it's a breed difference? Dare I hope?

Attachments

• 2020-05-26.jpg
    2020-05-26.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 7
Hi! I'm new to chicks, though I've raised guinea keets before.

3 weeks ago, I bought four pullets from TSC: 1 Leghorn, 1 California White, and 2 Amberlinks. All are doing well, but I suspect one of the bunch is a cockerel. It has a comb much larger and redder than the other three.

I'll attach a photo showing a side-by-side comparison, but the tricky thing is that I've never been able to tell the Leghorn from the Amberlinks. So maybe it's a breed difference? Dare I hope?
I wouldn't write it off yet. Female leghorns get big combs young. It doesn't look that pink to me.

Not that pink but you have to remember that they are only 3 weeks old. That is a HUGE pink comb with even pinker wattles coming in.

Back
Top Bottom