Gender Game - The Next Generation

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aghiowa, Apr 16, 2011.

1. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all. I posted when my little guys were 5 weeks. Now they are 2 months, and their genders are becoming more apparent, I think. Looking for more opinions. I have 5 little ones - let's begin!

Bruce is a Black Copper Marans. I know he's a roo - just hoping some kind-hearted soul will tell me I'm wrong. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buffy is a buff orpington. I first thought pullet, then wondered roo, but now after seeing the 2 month old BO in the "Gender Check" thread, I'm feeling more pullet-hopeful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bernice is a splash cochin. I am thinking pullet??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, those were the easy ones. On to the two Silkies!

Dupioni, I am wondering about. He ACTS like a roo. I have nothing to base that on though...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shantung looks similar to Dupioni, but is a bit smaller and a lot more shy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for sticking with me! I have to know pretty soon, because no roosters are allowed here in town.

Angela

2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Im sorry to say it but without a doubt your BCM its a Rooster.
    All of the other ones look like pullets, even tho the Buff Orping ton seems to have too much red on his/her wattles, but they are rather small for a boy his age so thats why I say girl too.
    The silkie I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards pullet.

3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I'd say that Silkie is a cockerel.

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    The first silkie is a cockeral. The second one could be a pullet. I think your guesses on all the others are right. Silkies are tricky little goofs, I have some 5 months old that I am still in the air about gender!

5. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I don't think I'd write off that first one yet. Yes, lots of red, but I don't see the feathering that I would expect of a roo.

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    The only roo I can see is the first silkie in the pics! The bcm could go either way but I'd say pullet for now though I'm not familiar with the breed, there is no feathering to signify roo just yet!

7. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    I think your bcm is a pullet.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    bcm is only 8 weeks old? If it were mine, I'd definitely say roo. [​IMG] No clue on the silkies, mine were 12 weeks + and I never had an idea. Tentative pullet guess on the other two. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by