Gender Guesses on These Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by graygiant, Aug 2, 2016.

1. graygiant

graygiant Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Our Buff Orpingtons were supposedly all hatched the same week . . . everyone started out the same size & weight for the first couple weeks . . . then, Pepper got huge real fast, Space got sick and didn't gain weight again until a couple weeks later, Salt got big, but slowly rather than suddenly like Pepper did, and little Jimmy gained weight slowly and steadily, but Jimmy's little comb & wattles started getting bigger and quite red very suddenly last week. They've been going outdoors every day since they were 1 week old. Just for an hour or so at first, then we increased their outside time as the weather warmed up--now, they're outdoors from around 9:00 a.m. until about 8:30 p.m. every day. They get plenty of sunlight, but hae lots of shade, too and being a fair-skinned person, I'm very careful with my animals not to let them become sunburned. Tomorrow, they turn 9 weeks old . . . any guesses on genders yet? I can't really tell for sure about their saddle feathers yet and could not for the life of me get a decent photo to show you of their feathers!

[​IMG]

"Pepper"

[​IMG]

"Salt"

[​IMG]

"Space"

[​IMG]

"Jimmy"

2. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'm no expert, but Pepper and Jimmy look like roos to me, and therefore Space and Salt pullets.
    But that's only due to their combs - don't trust my views alone.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. graygiant

graygiant Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Thank you for your input! I didn't even realize until I looked closer at this photo that Pepper's wattles have grown a lot over the past week. Hmmm . . .

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    The last one is a cockerel. Not sure about the others.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by