Gender guesses? Polish & Easter Egger

TheOtherHorse

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Crestwood, KY
My first group of chicks in the brooder. Hoping for pullets... Any guesses?

4 week old Silver Laced Polish:

4 week old blue Easter Egger:

4 week old Easter Egger: (and what color is this?)

They are still quite young, but with the polish, that is some mohawk going on there, I am going with boy just because of that. With the little black chick, the comb looks a little larger in those pictures than I like, it's hard to see because the head is turned sideways, but maybe boy because of the comb. The little brown one so far looks like it will be that typical pheasant color the girls often are, it does seem to have a tiny comb so will stick with girl right now.

I have both of these breeds... check out my pics that I have posted.

as far as my guess, i'd say the silver laced polish is a roo. is it a bantam or standard size bird?

the easter egger's are very difficult b/c of the pea comb.

my polish is a white crested black bantam, and is 6 wks old. the ppl that have posted think it's a roo... we shall see!

Thanks. The breeder didn't say whether they are standard or bantam. The Polish is significantly bigger than the EEs though. I've been thinking the Polish is a cockerel also... I am far from an expert (this is my first chicks), but the little Polish is so bold compared to the others, and has much more upright posture... They are in the brooder with some Keets, and the Polish keeps up with the Keets in all their craziness. The EEs tend to stay out of the way... Not sure if that means anything for sure, but my gut says cockerel. :(

i only have two in the brooder at this time, the white crested black polish and a buff Japanese which i bought at atwoods (chicks came from ideal poultry out of Cameron, tx). the Japanese appears to be a pullet, BUT the two "square off" and fight one another. who knows?!?!?! but i honestly think the my polish is a roo b/c of the size, mannerisms, and he's quite "leggy". i wish i could find some silver laced or golden laced bearded polish bantams! your little baby is adorable!

Great pic! The Polish are one of my fav birds:) She is such a cutie! "Tucker" our WC Black Polish bantam is now over 6 wks old, and about to go outside come this Thursday once we get our new chicks. I will say that I am searching for a WC Black Polish pullet or hen, hopefully I will find one in a few weeks at the OK State Poultry Show.

Back
Top Bottom