Gender ID help, please....UPDATE page 5

With all my birds, I don't really need to order eggs. But I am afraid to because it takes so long to get them. I have a really good Post Office though and call me first thing in the morning but it has to come through Houston.... Takes awhile.

I think these birds take a rest when they need to and we have a few weeks of infertility. So give them a break turn down the light and try again later.

So you don't have chickens anymore. I have to have some of their eggs for baking, bread, pancakes, etc. And I raise most of our meat, while I still can. Then it will be vegetarian for me too. Like it or not and not looking forward to it. DH is making me cut back again, so we'll see. Getting so that if I cough its outside where he can't hear or he'll make me cut back somemore.

Quote:
Haven't had any chickens for a couple of years. Due to work, I needed to rent for a while -- just bought this place a year ago. I still have the homestead in another state but probably won't ever live there again. A family member does now. Works out for us all around. Once I have a few more quail, I won't even need to buy any eggs for baking. As it is, we buy about a dozen organic free range eggs a month for baking only. Another 4 girls laying and I can avoid that.

I'm thinking of doing some top frame bee hives down the road. I've never had bees before but a friend does regular frame type of beehives. The top frame appeals to me more. Looks like less work and I'm all for less work...

Plus, from what I read in Urban Agriculture's article on top frames, you have fewer bees to deal with when you pull out a frame...

Last edited:
My stupid assessment of the 3 op pics is....It's 3 different pics of the same bird. Not sure why anyone would do that, but just my best guess.
On a side note: An androgynous hen/roo, but I'm just stupid. I call that bird, dinner, but that's just me.

Quote:
"JUST PAT" SYNDROME?
smile.png

Quote:
Most definitely not three pictures of the same bird. Here they are all together. As for dinner or not, they get a free pass. Remember, you've got the world's single vegetarian quail keeper here.
wink.png
Yes, I skip the slaughter threads.

I'd imagine you were joking Joe. Just in case though, I'll clarify that I would never waste folks time in such as way, or with any other chicanery (unless maybe it was April 1...) I respect folks' help and time too much to do that.

63147_100_3429b.jpg

Last edited:
No Worries Rozzie I Think HIs Point Was That To Him They All Look Alike, As They Do To Me As Well. Usually The Androgenous Males Have Spots On Their Chest As Well As The Rusty Tint And Sometimes Looks Like A Hen Which Causes Confusion... However I Have Not Seen Androgenous Hens With Rusty Chests?

Hope I'm Wrong, But 3 Roos--- And Thats My "final Answer"
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, I figured he meant it something like that.
wink.png

I am okay with all roos. They will just get to be pets.
wink.png

However, I'll be even more okay if one of those roosters starts laying eggs.
tongue.png

All the quail in the pics are 100% boys I'm afraid, no eggs from these chaps, the first pics just show their juvi spotting and are not an indication of being female these feathers will completely moult out soon, they are all sporting orange breasts no female would have this if you google search the difference between the sexes they are quite different.

6 weeks old today!

These there are just going to make me wait to see proof one way or the other...

Ah well! That's okay. There brothers sure preferred the bigger cage to their smaller one (still ample room, though).

Back
Top Bottom