Gender identification

@NatJ Now that I am almost certain that my chicken is a pullet, well I give a 20% chance for it to be a cockerel, will she lay brown or white eggs? How genes play their role in egg coloration? Will she lay brown eggs like her mother? Will her father affect the color of her future eggs?
Whatever the answer is I am pretty sure you are gonna get it right!

@NatJ Now that I am almost certain that my chicken is a pullet, well I give a 20% chance for it to be a cockerel, will she lay brown or white eggs? How genes play their role in egg coloration? Will she lay brown eggs like her mother? Will her father affect the color of her future eggs?
Whatever the answer is I am pretty sure you are gonna get it right!
I think it will most likely lay a light brown egg.
Normally the brown egg color is dominant over white egg color, but the white does make the egg color lighter.

It just turned 13 weeks yesterday. If you think its a pullet for certain, then I do so! Especially because you said you had pullets with larger Combs and wattles than usual :D
Here is one of my confusing ones. She is an easter egger/orpington mix and lays a lovely olive-jade egg depending on the bloom. I almost gave her away at 10 weeks because she was so cockerel-seeming but decided to wait. The picture of her whole body is at seven weeks old, and the close up of her head is only 9 weeks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231016-095807_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016-095807_Gallery.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231016-100127_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016-100127_Gallery.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231010_171543.jpg
    20231010_171543.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 6
Here is one of my confusing ones. She is an easter egger/orpington mix and lays a lovely olive-jade egg depending on the bloom. I almost gave her away at 10 weeks because she was so cockerel-seeming but decided to wait. The picture of her whole body is at seven weeks old, and the close up of her head is only 9 weeks!
What a great example of a pullet is this. She is so beautiful and I am guessing she must have huge Comb and wattles now!

The dad's comb is no joke, so all his offspring would inherit it to a degree (if I am wrong about this Natj please correct me). What throws me off is the colour more than anything

I agree about the big comb.
I am more concerned by how red the comb is, than the size of it. But as I see several other people have posted, pullets sometimes can have combs that are big and also red (relative to what we usually expect to see.)

Both parents give genes that affect egg color.

I would expect light brown eggs, with a chance of actual white ones.

There are quite a few genes that makes eggs be a darker brown or a lighter brown, and when you cross dark x light you mostly get chicks that lay colors in the middle. But there is a specific gene on the Z sex chromosome that makes eggs be very pale or actually white even if the other parent gives genes for brown coloring. If the father has that gene for white eggs, and gives it to his daughter, she will lay white or nearly-white eggs.

Since the father does not lay eggs, I am guessing based on the fact that he looks like a Blue Andalusian, which is supposed to lay white eggs.

I agree about the big comb.
I am more concerned by how red the comb is, than the size of it. But as I see several other people have posted, pullets sometimes can have combs that are big and also red (relative to what we usually expect to see.)

Both parents give genes that affect egg color.

I would expect light brown eggs, with a chance of actual white ones.

There are quite a few genes that makes eggs be a darker brown or a lighter brown, and when you cross dark x light you mostly get chicks that lay colors in the middle. But there is a specific gene on the Z sex chromosome that makes eggs be very pale or actually white even if the other parent gives genes for brown coloring. If the father has that gene for white eggs, and gives it to his daughter, she will lay white or nearly-white eggs.

Since the father does not lay eggs, I am guessing based on the fact that he looks like a Blue Andalusian, which is supposed to lay white eggs.
This actually makes sense. My bet is light brown eggs like you but it would be really interesting if she can lay both light brown and white eggs which I find very rare but it happens. how many chances do you give for this to happen though?

Finally my second question is, will she be as productive as her mother was? Mom was laying so many eggs, like 280-320 per yeah or even more. Her most productive year was the first and now she is 3 years old so I have noticed significant decrease in her productivity although she can lay 4-5 and sometimes 6 eggs per week.

This actually makes sense. My bet is light brown eggs like you but it would be really interesting if she can lay both light brown and white eggs which I find very rare but it happens. how many chances do you give for this to happen though?

Finally my second question is, will she be as productive as her mother was? Mom was laying so many eggs, like 280-320 per yeah or even more. Her most productive year was the first and now she is 3 years old so I have noticed significant decrease in her productivity although she can lay 4-5 and sometimes 6 eggs per week.

Her daughter (if she is a daughter) will have a relatively high production, yes. Maybe not as high, but high. Your ISA brown hen is getting up there in ISA brown years, unfortunately due to that high production, they tend to die young, production issues being the main thing (I at least, experience). Look out for things like egg binding

Back
Top Bottom