SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
56402_p1000115.jpg

56402_p1000114.jpg

56402_p1000116.jpg

Looks a lot like mine at 4 weeks and she stayed a she. Here she is at 4.75 week. She ended up with a lot of black feathers, but I think she looks cool:
48358_tutu2.jpg

Then at 14 weeks:
48358_zenny.jpg

Good Luck, hope this helps!
fl.gif

Really still a little too early to tell, but I'd go with pullet. By six weeks old you should see the roo signs really starting to stand out.

SarahIrl taking a second look at your pics I am going to say that #2 is a little cockerel. He's just not feathering out as quickly as the other two. And what is up with #3's barred wing feathering? Almost looks like a cross between a light brahma and a dark brahma pullet.

Last edited:
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the rooster signs?
smile.png
Trying to sex my 7 week olds

At 7 weeks, the cockerels will have thicker sturdier looking legs. Their comb will be widening, may also be getting pinker. Wattles should be starting to show, but are faint. Looking at a brahma pullet chick from behind, you'll notice that they hold their little tails up, forming a little pyramid. The pullets will have better feathering, especially in the wings.
I have a whole list of signs, but they are on my puter which is dead at the moment.

Last edited:
1 is a pullet for sure.
2 & 3 I'm going to say cockerels. But I agree with Gritstar in that the color pattern on #3 looks like a cross between a light and a dark.

None of my answering refer to the partridge variety.

The dark variety is easy to sex because the pullets have the asiatic laced feather pattern and the males come in with black feathering. They don't have the lacing the female of the variety has. On the other two, I'm looking at combs at this early age. Too much pink already to be pullets.

Just have to comment on the second photo... that boy looks like he's got ostrich in him, the way his neck is stretched out, LOL.

Quote:
Come to think of it, go back and look at the pic of #1. The same barring is evident on the wings of that one too. Definitely looks like a cross between a light and a dark. This has me wondering if they wouldn't be pullets by default. Only the pullets of the dark brahmas get the barring, so if the barred feathering is there and they are half dark brahma, wouldn't that make them pullets?
I don't know a thing about genetics, just curious.

Well #2 has been a victim of feather plucking. Had a nasty little barnie chick in (1 of 13 of them) and he has made a mess of that chick and two other barnie's tails are gone. I'll post up more again next week.

As for genetics - they are not pure light or dark, they are 'silver' as they are called here, and fairly rare. I think it's an on going silver lacing project, not sure. There's a few columbian brahmas here and some blues and golden. I think, from what I can gather, the silver is a mix of light and dark. Possibly with some blue thrown into the mix. Amamzing birds when fully feathered. There's huge brahmas here, some as tall as a small goose!

Well #2 has been a victim of feather plucking. Had a nasty little barnie chick in (1 of 13 of them) and he has made a mess of that chick and two other barnie's tails are gone. I'll post up more again next week.

As for genetics - they are not pure light or dark, they are 'silver' as they are called here, and fairly rare. I think it's an on going silver lacing project, not sure. There's a few columbian brahmas here and some blues and golden. I think, from what I can gather, the silver is a mix of light and dark. Possibly with some blue thrown into the mix. Amamzing birds when fully feathered. There's huge brahmas here, some as tall as a small goose!
Do you have updated pictures of what they look like all grown up?

Back
Top Bottom