gender of polish and bantam cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smallcitychick, May 30, 2011.

1. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    These gals (fingers crossed) are 7 1/2 weeks old. I'm pretty sure the polish is a girl [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] because of the more rounded feathers on the crest, but I've noticed the really red wattles coming in this last week or so.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the bantam cochin. I'm really not sure on. I already have to lf cochin hens, but I just can't tell if she's just pinking up/turning red because she's getting older or if it's roo qualities
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one more photo just for kicks. My 2 year old thought we were having a regular old fashion shoot with the chickens and wanted to hold each one and have a picture taken [​IMG] This is her holding Lemon Drop, our 7 1/2 week old gold sex link, doesn't Lemon Drop look thrilled? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    They look girly except the white cochin im not sure on that one.

3. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    Anyone else going to chime in and help decide gender?

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Could the Cochin be older then 7 1/2 weeks? That's an awfully red face for that young. The comb is small, which makes me think pullet. The redness says roo..... Yikes! Maybe it's a pullet that developed early? I don't know, I think you will have to wait for an egg or crow. I don't know about the polish. My daughter wanted one, but the farm store didn't have any at the times I was there.

5. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Your Polish is a Rooster. The cochin is a pullet. My polish looked just like that had rounded feathers to but once he started molting he got the spikey feathers in yours has lots of red and wattles comin in. See

8 Weeks
    [​IMG]

11 weeks this is right before he started molting.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Polish is a roo, its got to much wattle and the nose arch is big for a hen

7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Polish is a Roo [​IMG]
    The Cochin is a Pullet [​IMG]
    The Cochin is turning red, but it has small comb and wattles, and Pullets will get red. By 5 weeks my Cochin Roo had a BIG red comb..so it is Pullet

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Quote:X2

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'm not even going to try the Polish because their gender ways are sneaky and ninja-like [​IMG]

The cochin however, is totally a pullet. White cochins tend to be very pink in the face. By 7 and 1/2 weeks, if you had a cochin roo, he'd be all wobbly-faced from a massive bright red comb. I have a 5 week old cochin that looks top-heavy right now because he put all his growing into a big manly comb. Poor guy needs to focus more on covering his poor naked spots IMO. *sigh at roo feathering*

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, that Polish is a boy. That face is way too red to be a girl at such a young age. Crest sexing is frustrating and unreliable. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by