gender of polish and bantam cochin

smallcitychick

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Central Washington
These gals (fingers crossed) are 7 1/2 weeks old. I'm pretty sure the polish is a girl
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
because of the more rounded feathers on the crest, but I've noticed the really red wattles coming in this last week or so.
49587_p1010934.jpg

49587_p1010938.jpg

And the bantam cochin. I'm really not sure on. I already have to lf cochin hens, but I just can't tell if she's just pinking up/turning red because she's getting older or if it's roo qualities
49587_p1010935.jpg

49587_p1010936.jpg

And one more photo just for kicks. My 2 year old thought we were having a regular old fashion shoot with the chickens and wanted to hold each one and have a picture taken
smile.png
This is her holding Lemon Drop, our 7 1/2 week old gold sex link, doesn't Lemon Drop look thrilled?
big_smile.png

49587_p1010941.jpg

Could the Cochin be older then 7 1/2 weeks? That's an awfully red face for that young. The comb is small, which makes me think pullet. The redness says roo..... Yikes! Maybe it's a pullet that developed early? I don't know, I think you will have to wait for an egg or crow. I don't know about the polish. My daughter wanted one, but the farm store didn't have any at the times I was there.

Your Polish is a Rooster. The cochin is a pullet. My polish looked just like that had rounded feathers to but once he started molting he got the spikey feathers in yours has lots of red and wattles comin in. See

8 Weeks
82508_pretty_girl_008.jpg

11 weeks this is right before he started molting.
82508_chickens_021.jpg

Last edited:
Polish is a Roo
hide.gif

The Cochin is a Pullet
celebrate.gif

The Cochin is turning red, but it has small comb and wattles, and Pullets will get red. By 5 weeks my Cochin Roo had a BIG red comb..so it is Pullet

I'm not even going to try the Polish because their gender ways are sneaky and ninja-like
hide.gif

The cochin however, is totally a pullet. White cochins tend to be very pink in the face. By 7 and 1/2 weeks, if you had a cochin roo, he'd be all wobbly-faced from a massive bright red comb. I have a 5 week old cochin that looks top-heavy right now because he put all his growing into a big manly comb. Poor guy needs to focus more on covering his poor naked spots IMO. *sigh at roo feathering*

Back
Top Bottom