Gender of Silkie/EE mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Violetsrblu, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Violetsrblu

Violetsrblu Chirping

Jul 24, 2013
    Lakeland, TN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I let my broody Silkie hatch a couple of eggs from an EE hen and Silkie rooster. They are 3 mos. old. I was pretty sure they were both cockerels and was going to rehome them, but an acquaintance who used to raise chickens told me that the solid grey is a pullet. Is he correct?

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Songster

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I'm not that adapt at sexing Silkies, but just from the stance and feathering I would say your friend is right. The solid colored one just carries itself like a pullet, and the other is definitely giving you a rooster stink eye!

3. Violetsrblu

Violetsrblu Chirping

Jul 24, 2013
    Lakeland, TN
    Another thing that had me thinking the gray was male: they play fight a lot since they were 3 weeks old. They like to lower their heads, stare each other down for a while, then jump at each other several times. Do females fight like that? When my EEs were pullets, they occasionally bumped chests, but that was all.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you get comb shots of each bird? The grey's not screaming rooster like the multi-colored bird, but it's hard to say pullet for sure from those pics.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking rooster on both of them.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking rooster on both.

7. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Songster

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    I think rooster, you can see saddle feathers.
    sorry to impede, but I have a chick of almost the same cross, I thought it was a he, then I checked saddles and they are round. Now he has a ridge of red where wattles would grow, so I am back to he.
    [​IMG]
    has a rather big comb. Is there a soley male gene to black chickens!? We have only ever had 1 black chick that was female

father was also a silkie, mother a lavendar ameraucana

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  8. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

I am thinking rooster on both of them also...

9. Violetsrblu

Violetsrblu Chirping

Jul 24, 2013
    Lakeland, TN
    Thank you for your answers! I found new homes for the guys and the farmer who took them is pretty sure the solid gray is a cockerel too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: