Gender please, pic heavy

sirhc76

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Still torn on some of the pics Ive seen of GLW hens with larger than normal head gear. I have 3, and Ill label the pics as Fat comb, thin comb and point comb. Also need to inquire about the Australorp that looks nothing like a Spangled Orloff it was sold as
smile.png
The Wyandottes were all hatched the second week of April and the Australorp on the first week of May. I've included the full directory if anyone wants to dig through for more shots to make an educated guess.

Thanks,

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/sirhc76/Chickens 3 months/

Fat comb
GLWfatcomb4-1.jpg
GLWfatandpeak.jpg
GLWfatcomb.jpg
GLWfatcomb4.jpg
GLWfatcomb3.jpg
GLWfatcomb2.jpg

Thin comb, on the left
GLWthincomb-1.jpg
GLWthincomb2.jpg
GLWdarkcomb.jpg

Point comb
GLWpeak.jpg
GLWpeakcomb.jpg
GLWthincomb.jpg
GLWhalfblackcomb2.jpg

Australorp
Australorp.jpg

The Australorp at least looks like a pullet. It's definitely not a Spangled Orloff... I wonder why they sold her as such...

I have limited experience with Wyandottes though, so I'll leave the verdict on them up to someone else.
smile.png

My best guess based upon my recent experiences with all roo's and 1 white hen, say these are all pullets.......... I thought my 1 was a hen until her tail came in......arghhhhh

The saddle feathers and tail will tell the sex, but I sure ain't no expert these are my first chicks are now almost 18 weeks.
This is my hen hehehe Roo now that the saddle and tail are in
81831_img_1170.jpg

I'm thinking all girls. I know the one had kinda pointy looking hackle feathers but I think it's the lacing being misleading. The roos are different colored than the hens and I think you'd be seeing that change by now. Although, I have pretty limited experience with the breed.

Thanks everyone. I'll be relieved to finally have confirmation. I do understand that roosters aren't similarly colored although I wasn't sure when that change in feathering took place. I had originally planned to send any roosters to the in laws flock on their ranch until I saw symptoms of URI around 9 weeks. I've treated everyone and have no signs of any issues now although I don't want to pass anything on to their flock of almost 100 chickens. That leaves me with very few options of responsibly separating any roosters from my flock. While I enjoy BBQ chicken I don't think I could convince the kids that any of the BY flock simply wandered off
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom