Gender Question - Gold Laced Orps

LilChickens2

Songster
Nov 20, 2015
Crozet VA
05956683-331D-4F73-BFBA-3966C9CE3630.jpeg ABD693A0-7FDE-4625-ACDB-75346D1F4653.jpeg AFC22175-362A-4D3C-8039-509608B835D7.jpeg I have three gold laced Orpingtons. I am positive that the first couple pictured are the boys (but I’m not an expert on Orps). However one has a rounded tail and the other has a perkier tail. Both their hackle feathers are the same color (gold), unlike the females. Can you please confirm the first set are boys? If they are both boys, which one is the better quality? Also I assume that the third one is a girl. Can you confirm this too? Neither is showing any interest in crowing, the ladies/gents, or laying eggs. Thank you! (Pic 1 and 2 and 3 are of different chickens).

Two boys one girl, do you have other chickens? If not, you should get rid of one roo. A good ratio is twenty hens per two Roos, but six hens and one roo is good. Even if you get rid of one boy, you should think about getting more hens, unless you already have some.
Good luck!

Two boys one girl, do you have other chickens? If not, you should get rid of one roo. A good ratio is twenty hens per two Roos, but six hens and one roo is good. Even if you get rid of one boy, you should think about getting more hens, unless you already have some.
Good luck!
Lol, I probably have about 120 chickens, I’m good . Just sorting the sexes of my new breeds that aren’t making themselves apparent to me. The slow growing breeds and unusual ones I like second opinions on. Thanks.

How old are they? I wouldn't think of rehoming either Roo at this point, give them more time to mature before making your selection. Orpingtons are great birds, so docile personalities.

Check out OrpGasm Poultry, BEAUTIFUL ORPINGTONS!

How old are they? I wouldn't think of rehoming either Roo at this point, give them more time to mature before making your selection. Orpingtons are great birds, so docile personalities.

Check out OrpGasm Poultry, BEAUTIFUL ORPINGTONS!
They are about 6 months old. I have a few others but they seem to have grown faster than these ones. I have more males than females of this breed though so unfortunately there will come a time a couple boys will have to go. They are all sweet and none crow as of yet!

Back
Top Bottom