gender trait question...

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
ok, something is bugging me. I known some people to id a roo by looking for spur buds, but is this always a reliable way to tell the gender? I have EE chicks and they all have a tiny bud there (please don't say that means they are all roosters
hit.gif
)

Roosters won't have full-fledged spurs until they are several months. you will have crowing, comb development, and hackle feathers long before spurs.Don't worry about it!

Quote:
More than half of my 20 female chickens (female so far) have spur bumps. Many of the 16 males seem to be developing the starts of a bigger bump. They are 3+ months old right now.... Other indicators are determining gender. But I have to admit the EEs are still leaving me wondering. I hear it may take 6 months or more sometimes with them. But I do have one that has a much darker red comb and is obviously a male in his behavior.

thanks everyone! That is so good to know! I guess I'm just hoping too hard for mostly pullets (any roosters will have to be re-homed). I guess I've got quite a while before I see even an inkling of gender differences popping up.

Back
Top Bottom