gender trait question...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mudpaw, Oct 4, 2009.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    ok, something is bugging me. I known some people to id a roo by looking for spur buds, but is this always a reliable way to tell the gender? I have EE chicks and they all have a tiny bud there (please don't say that means they are all roosters [​IMG] )

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Roosters won't have full-fledged spurs until they are several months. you will have crowing, comb development, and hackle feathers long before spurs.Don't worry about it!

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Mudpaw, all chicks have tiny bumps where the spurs will grow on a rooster. So don't cry just yet. [​IMG]

4. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    Quote:More than half of my 20 female chickens (female so far) have spur bumps. Many of the 16 males seem to be developing the starts of a bigger bump. They are 3+ months old right now.... Other indicators are determining gender. But I have to admit the EEs are still leaving me wondering. I hear it may take 6 months or more sometimes with them. But I do have one that has a much darker red comb and is obviously a male in his behavior.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    And some females of certain breeds will grow spurs... My Pheonix/game mix has spurs forming at about 1/2 inch long right now.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Spur bumps are no more reliable at determining gender of a chicken than nipples are for determining the sex of a baby mammal.

They ALL have them.

7. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    thanks everyone! That is so good to know! I guess I'm just hoping too hard for mostly pullets (any roosters will have to be re-homed). I guess I've got quite a while before I see even an inkling of gender differences popping up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by