gender trait question...

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
ok, something is bugging me. I known some people to id a roo by looking for spur buds, but is this always a reliable way to tell the gender? I have EE chicks and they all have a tiny bud there (please don't say that means they are all roosters
hit.gif
)

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
Roosters won't have full-fledged spurs until they are several months. you will have crowing, comb development, and hackle feathers long before spurs.Don't worry about it!

weaveagarden

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Hoquiam, Wa
Quote:
More than half of my 20 female chickens (female so far) have spur bumps. Many of the 16 males seem to be developing the starts of a bigger bump. They are 3+ months old right now.... Other indicators are determining gender. But I have to admit the EEs are still leaving me wondering. I hear it may take 6 months or more sometimes with them. But I do have one that has a much darker red comb and is obviously a male in his behavior.

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
thanks everyone! That is so good to know! I guess I'm just hoping too hard for mostly pullets (any roosters will have to be re-homed). I guess I've got quite a while before I see even an inkling of gender differences popping up.

Top Bottom