Hatching
Jul 14, 2016
Are these hens or roosters?

bobbi-j

Enabler
12 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
How old is the BR? Same age as the other one in the picture? How do their comb and wattles compare to one another? Does one have definitely more developed comb and wattles? From what I can see, I would guess cockerel.

curlycue212

Chirping
Apr 24, 2014
raleigh, nc
yeah. looks like a cockerell. i'd say it's a barred rock or dominique. i have black sex links and they are solid black with a little red on underside of neck feathers

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
i have black sex links and they are solid black with a little red on underside of neck feathers
Black sex link pullets are black with red in the hackles. Black sex link cockerels are barred.I agree with Rhodebar Lover that the barred bird in the picture is likely a black sex link cockerel. The first is also a cockerel, maybe partridge Rock or Welsummer.

bobbi-j

Enabler
12 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Black sex link pullets are black with red in the hackles. Black sex link cockerels are barred.I agree with Rhodebar Lover that the barred bird in the picture is likely a black sex link cockerel. The first is also a cockerel, maybe partridge Rock or Welsummer.
Just curious - what characteristics does the barred cockerel have that makes you say sexlink instead of Barred Rock? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn more.
smile.png

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
Just curious - what characteristics does the barred cockerel have that makes you say sexlink instead of Barred Rock? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn more.
smile.png
The pattern on the wing - the darker primaries and the whitish pattern near the shoulder/elbow. IMHO to me It looks messier than the markings of a Rock. I could very well be wrong, I am far from an expert on barred birds.

Top Bottom