Gender?

They came from 3 different bin. The labels were Rhode Island Red, Golden Comet, and the smallest one in the photo came from New Hampshire bin. 

Ok, that helps :)

The Golden Comets are a sex link breed, which means that the female chicks are an orange color and males are yellow. So as long as all of those are orange, they're pullets. :)

The RIR are ones that have to be vent sexed by someone before the Hatchery sends them to the supplier, so those are the ones that will have a possible 10% error rate. You might end up with a cockerel by accident. Same with the New Hampshires; they have to be vent sexed as well.

Eta* The one in the pic is giving me a "roo" vibe... But I'm staring at it on a tiny phone with a cracked screen. :p

Last edited:
Ok, that helps
smile.png

The Golden Comets are a sex link breed, which means that the female chicks are an orange color and males are yellow. So as long as all of those are orange, they're pullets.
smile.png

The RIR are ones that have to be vent sexed by someone before the Hatchery sends them to the supplier, so those are the ones that will have a possible 10% error rate. You might end up with a cockerel by accident. Same with the New Hampshires; they have to be vent sexed as well.

Eta* The one in the pic is giving me a "roo" vibe... But I'm staring at it on a tiny phone with a cracked screen.
tongue.png
And yet... I have seen people get RSL pullets that turned out to be cockerels!
sad.png

Even though the error rate is supposed to be only 10%... that assumes it gets spread evenly... I had 50% males from one batch that was sexed. And other times no error. And some have even got the wrong breed incorrectly sexed straight from the hatchery... must have been a bad day for that worker.

And sometimes they get mixed up at the feed store. Things happen.
hmm.png

But watching them grow, I have been more worried about that 10% then ever became a reality.
smile.png

And yet... I have seen people get RSL pullets that turned out to be cockerels! :(

Even though the error rate is supposed to be only 10%... that assumes it gets spread evenly... I had 50% males from one batch that was sexed. And other times no error. And some have even got the wrong breed incorrectly sexed straight from the hatchery... must have been a bad day for that worker.

And sometimes they get mixed up at the feed store. Things happen. :/

But watching them grow, I have been more worried about that 10% then ever became a reality. :)

Ha, I was in our local feed store last year looking at chicks, and there was a big sign over a bin that said "minorcas", and the chicks were obviously silkies.. They weren't even black! :lau

Just can't really trust the label sometimes, us HUMANS account for 100% of the 10% errors ;)

I've actually gotten more females by accident than males, but that's picking out broilers; DH can find the boys but I think I just get there after someone else has picked all the cockerels out :(

But I did get my best roo by " accident" on purpose.. The lady at the feed store, yes the same feed store, insisted to DH that this little yellow chick in the bin of red stars was a female. He brought it home to me. As soon as I opened the box I asked him what the odd yellow chick in there with all the red chicks was. He said, "your new rooster." Can't fool him :lau

Ha, I was in our local feed store last year looking at chicks, and there was a big sign over a bin that said "minorcas", and the chicks were obviously silkies.. They weren't even black!
lau.gif

Just can't really trust the label sometimes, us HUMANS account for 100% of the 10% errors
wink.png

I've actually gotten more females by accident than males, but that's picking out broilers; DH can find the boys but I think I just get there after someone else has picked all the cockerels out
sad.png

But I did get my best roo by " accident" on purpose.. The lady at the feed store, yes the same feed store, insisted to DH that this little yellow chick in the bin of red stars was a female. He brought it home to me. As soon as I opened the box I asked him what the odd yellow chick in there with all the red chicks was. He said, "your new rooster." Can't fool him
lau.gif
Ya, the LFS try to tell me silkies were something else and I was like... um, I don't thinks so.. these have top hats.

Somehow picking out boys seems to be a little easier. I picked 4 fresh hatched chicks to give my broody thinking they were boys, as we wanted to raise the girls with us for the friendly factor. And we got 100% accuracy (that time). In the end 7 of the 9 I hatched were boys so maybe there was a bit of luck in that selection.
tongue.png

You DH sounds like... and being married to you... must be pretty funny.
smile.png

[/IMG]

@shortgrass This is a better pic of the one with the "roo" vibe! Are you still getting that vibe?

[/IMG]

@shortgrass This is a better pic of the one with the "roo" vibe! Are you still getting that vibe?

Sorry about the late response, forgot to reply yesterday :p

No, actually, that's a better picture... No more roo vibe lol, it looks like an Amber link pullet in better lighting. The comb looked pink in the other pic for some reason. If it were a male it would be pretty much all creamy white at this age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom