Gender?

Chloesmama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2014
I think I ask every week if anyone can tell what gender my chicks are. I am pretty sure one of my bantams is male.... the comb is turning red. The other may be a male, but the comb is not turning and not growing as quickly as the other.

My red ones I think are female, but wanted to see if anyone disagrees. The combs are still all light pink and not growing too quickly. They are all 4 weeks plus a few days.

Thanks!

If the red ones are red sex links then they are female.

The first pic looks female, but may be a slow developing male, the crest tines are a little well separated for a hen that age but the overall development isn't male yet.

Second pic is definitely a male.

Third pic, not sure, depends what breed to an extent.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the replies! The little bantam still has a pink comb, so I am hoping!

Here are more photos of the 'red pullets'..... I am thinking one is a rooster though, it acts a little more... I don't know.... nosy??? There is also one starting to make a new noise, kinda like the first part of the rooster call. I will put that one first... The rest are the same age and seem to have slightly less developed combs.

Do you this this will be a rooster? They are all 5.5 weeks old.

Daughter named it cheetah. it has the least developed tail feathers and was way way later at developing them.... it also has more of the waddle (is that what it is called??? under the chin) developed too

This one is Penguin

Henrietta (mine)

Peanut

Thanks for the replies! The little bantam still has a pink comb, so I am hoping! Here are more photos of the 'red pullets'..... I am thinking one is a rooster though, it acts a little more... I don't know.... nosy??? There is also one starting to make a new noise, kinda like the first part of the rooster call. I will put that one first... The rest are the same age and seem to have slightly less developed combs. Do you this this will be a rooster? They are all 5.5 weeks old. Daughter named it cheetah. it has the least developed tail feathers and was way way later at developing them.... it also has more of the waddle (is that what it is called??? under the chin) developed too This one is Penguin Henrietta (mine) Peanut
these 4 look all like pullets!

Great! I am hoping. When should I really be able to tell? I know everyone says I will know if one starts crowing, but being my first time, I am excited to figure it all out.

Also, when will little bantam boy start making too much noise? They are so small that it seems I will have them in my bathroom forever.

One more question- Can I re-home just the boy, or should I give the bantam pair away together? I will have the 4 red pullets and then just one bantam if we keep the girl (if it is a girl). My daughters really like the bantams much better.

Great!  I am hoping.  When should I really be able to tell?  I know everyone says I will know if one starts crowing, but being my first time, I am excited to figure it all out. How old are they now? 5-6 weeks? If they were boys there combs and wattles would be coming in by now.

Also, when will little bantam boy start making too much noise? Every roo is different, I have one very loud Jersey Giant and one RIR that sounds like a little baby, not loud at all. They are so small that it seems I will have them in my bathroom forever.

One more question-  Can I re-home just the boy, or should I give the bantam pair away together? You can just give the boy away, no need to give your pullet too! I will have the 4 red pullets and then just one bantam if we keep the girl (if it is a girl).  My daughters really like the bantams much better. 

You can have your standard size and bantams together as long as the bigger ones aren't ganging up on your little one.

Thanks for the replies! The little bantam still has a pink comb, so I am hoping!

Here are more photos of the 'red pullets'..... I am thinking one is a rooster though, it acts a little more... I don't know.... nosy??? There is also one starting to make a new noise, kinda like the first part of the rooster call. I will put that one first... The rest are the same age and seem to have slightly less developed combs.

Do you this this will be a rooster? They are all 5.5 weeks old.

Daughter named it cheetah. it has the least developed tail feathers and was way way later at developing them.... it also has more of the waddle (is that what it is called??? under the chin) developed too

It's 'wattle/s', but a lot of people say 'waddle/s'. One way to remember is that only ducks have waddles. ;)

Normally if these were all known to be Red Sex Links of some sort, they'd all be female, but when you compare rates of development, the top pic sure does look more male than the others. That said, they're all still within pullet level development for that type of breed, where the females commonly develop larger crests and wattles than other breeds.

If the 'tines' or spikes on the crest of the top pic bird were thicker and redder, not so pale and pointed and thin, I would believe it to be male. As it is, perhaps just a more developed female? A male at 5.5. weeks should be showing more development but there is no hard and fast rule there.

This one is Penguin

Henrietta (mine)

Peanut
Looks like a bunch of pullets but the first and last pics may be slow developing males. Leaning more towards pullets right now though, 5.5. weeks should be showing something definitive in a breed like this.

Best wishes.

Thanks! We are about a week later and no red combs, so I think we are good. They are about 6.5 weeks now, I should be seeing some obvious signs, right? Also, how would I know if they are red sexlinks or RIR or another unnamed red pullet?

Here are the two bantams now, is it safe to say that one is male and one is female? Another question I don't know if I need a new topic, but I am giving the bantams away as a pair and the home I found for them is going to let them free range all the time. They have a coop, but are not going to make them go in. What age would it be ok to give them? I am looking forward to having them out of my bathroom, and they are seeming pretty frustrated not being able to fly more.

Back
Top Bottom