General housing questions on a new coop design

remist17

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am building a new coop for some new chickens I have. It will be a 6x8 with a 12x16 run. I am having 7 pullets in there with a rooster. so 8 total birds.

How long of a roost should I make?
What diameter shoudl the roost be? example a 2x4 or a 2" round clothing rod.
How high off the floor should the roost be?
How long should the poop board be from the wall out?
How far off the ground should the board be?
Last question.... Nest boxes how far off the floor.

I was thinking 3 feet for the roost and 2 feet for the boxes and the boad below the roost 8 " of so,

1 Foot per chicken so atleast 8 feet
use a flat rost we have a flat and round rost most prefer the flat.
2 ish feet
not sure don't use poop boards
not sure don't use poop boards
18"

I second the 2x4 as roost. Living in Pennsylvania, you'll have some real winter. When the birds roost on a flat board, they're bodies keep their feet warm, lessening the chance of frostbite...

so is the 2x4 up or flat. I mean is the 2" part what the bird sits on or is the 4" part what it sits on?

Last edited:
i used 2x4s in my coop as roost but i laid them upright (not flat). they seem to hang on pretty good. i was told in several chicken books that was the way to do it
hide.gif

About 8" for each chicken if they are RIR size, so across the 6' side would work fine. Across the 8' side would give them a little more space to spread out in hot weather, though. I have too much roost space (had more chickens) and they do spread out when it's hot. I use the wide side of a 2x4. Chickens don't curl their toes around a roost to the extent many birds do, and they do well with a flat place to rest their belly on their feet to prevent cold toes in the winter. 2" round clothing rod IMO is too small (also expensive.) A nice fat tree branch is fine, too. Poop board -- I don't use, but it's not much use unless it's wide enough to be under their butts, and the length of the roost. Distance from floor doesn't matter for the poop, but they don't lose floor space if you have it up fairly close to the roost. Give them room to hang their tails down. Nest boxes can be on the floor or about as high as you want, but you don't want them higher than the roost as they like to sleep in the highest place. 2 nests are plenty for 6 hens -- rule of thumb is 1 for 4 hens -- but it's nice to have an extra, movable one for a broody as they accept being moved a lot better if you move the whole thing, nest, nesting material and all. The thing about if you get a broody is, the easiest way to break her is let her hatch chicks. I have a wall mounted nest box plus an old open top plastic bin with a cutout in the front that makes a great broody nest. I'd build 2 wall mounted ones in that coop, high enough for them to walk under, and keep my eye out for an old covered kitty litter pan plastic bin, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom