Generic quail behaviours

Quail-Crazy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Having only had our quail for just under a month we were a bit confused on some of their behaviours.

We have chinese painted quail, a male and female and were wondering what the following behaviours generally meant:

* Ruffling the feathers after someone has been in their cage

* Lifting the head up and opening the mouth with a jerking motion

* Reversing (walking backwards for no reason)

* Grooming (female to the male with the male accepting)

* Doinking (upward flight) in the middle of the night

Any other behaviours that we may yet encounter but have missed out here would be great if listed and explained, we want to know everything we can about our quail to make them happy.

Having only had our quail for just under a month we were a bit confused on some of their behaviours.

We have chinese painted quail, a male and female and were wondering what the following behaviours generally meant:

* Ruffling the feathers after someone has been in their cage

They normally are territorial when "intruders" enter their cages. Pairs will actually drive off other button quail if they join as they are monogamous.

* Lifting the head up and opening the mouth with a jerking motion

Courting the mate

* Reversing (walking backwards for no reason)

Excitement

* Grooming (female to the male with the male accepting)

Means you have a bonded pair.

* Doinking (upward flight) in the middle of the night

Fear

Any other behaviours that we may yet encounter but have missed out here would be great if listed and explained, we want to know everything we can about our quail to make them happy.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you! That's cleared up alot. Thank you very much.

What can we do to calm their fear at night? Is it the dark that scares them? Or could it be my partner's snoring?

Should i invest in a night light to keep them happy?

Another thing i have noticed is that the male and female (solitary pair) tend to sit with their 'bum's at angles to each other, so they form a kind of heart shape. Their bums are pressed together at angles, is it a comfort thing or are they just keeping cosy?

Back
Top Bottom