genes that inhibit barring

123silver

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I was wondering if there are genes that inhibit barring. I have some hens that hatched with the spot on the head but when they are fully grown you can barley tell that they are barred. These hens are brown based not black. So their grand parents were a male partridge rock and female production blacks from Ideal. Bred them then bred the offspring to each other. Kept all the non blacks with the spot. Hope that makes sense.

I was wondering if there are genes that inhibit barring. I have some hens that hatched with the spot on the head but when they are fully grown you can barley tell that they are barred. These hens are brown based not black. So their grand parents were a male partridge rock and female production blacks from Ideal. Bred them then bred the offspring to each other. Kept all the non blacks with the spot. Hope that makes sense.
Do you have pictures of them? I’ve seen barred brown hens that had pretty faint barring, I’m not sure if it’s due to specific genes.

Do you have pictures of them? I’ve seen barred brown hens that had pretty faint barring, I’m not sure if it’s due to specific genes.
I will try to take some pics, one of the hens I'm talking about was killed by a hawk over the weekend. I also have some chicks I will take pics of.

Wheaten(alone, no red enhanced and no Columbian restricted ) show the least amount of barring, Crele Orp hens have barely noticeable barring on them..

https://greenlandsfarm.org/crele-legbar-orpington

The Euskal Oiloa hens are nearly completely devoided of
I don't think anyone would be shocked that it doesn't show as well on a hen as it does on a rooster.
Still stand by my statement. I can see the barring on tbe hens in the link you posted. I've saw other pics that have better barring and I've saw some live that were easily noticeable.
I'm sure some breeders have better then others.

Some would say they don't show it as well then either since they're SF and males should be DF.

Back
Top Bottom