Genesis Hova-Bator vs Brower Top Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frozen Feathers, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Help me decide, please! I have read a bit about both on line, but would some to hear the experiences of you hatch-aholics out there. [​IMG]
    If you have (or have had) either or both tell me your experiences, pros and cons, etc.
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Gald, you asked this question after my thread about incubators I narrowed them 2 down to my final list.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't know much about the brower. I do have 3 of the 1588's and I wouldn't trade them for anything else in this class.

The 1588 and a turner, purchased direct from GQF, is about $168 plus shipping. GQF has excellent customer service.

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    hoba
    -foam,
    -some models have forced air,
    -egg turner extra
    regulates tem ok
    regulates hum ok
    more quiet
    more space/wide load

tophatch
    plastic
    diswasher safe.
    uses light bulb ..need to buy extra bulbes in case
    turner incluced
    -noisy (noise will make you go crazy)
    hatch chicks directly inside, just turn off turner
    smaller/compact

both are ok units and are equally but I would use hoba to incubate and tophatch to hatch seperately..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  5. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks Miss Prissy and Aberfitch for your input!

Any one else?

6. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I wanted to ask, since ducks and geese need different temps then chickens, the 1588 thermostat must be adjustable somehow. Is it easy to adjust?

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They do not need different temps.

Ducks and Geese needed higher humidity.

Ducks, geese, Chickens, Guineas, Quail, Pheasant, Peafowl, Emu (I know I am leaving some out) - all need 99.5 in a forced air bator.

If for some reason you did need to adjust it, yes, it adjusts by half degrees.

8. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't have personal experience using either of these incubators (yet), but I just bought the Genesis and the deal breaker for me was size. I can fit a lot more eggs in the Genesis than in the Brower. Honestly, the Genesis is too small for our needs, but I just wasn't ready to buy the Sportsman just yet. I just loaded it for the first time today, so we'll see how it goes!!

9. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:That's good information to know! I always thought ducks and geese needed a higher temp, maybe for a still air? I don't know how that information got in my head. [​IMG]

Thanks Crunchie for your input! So far looks like three votes for the Genesis.

I like the idea of plug in and go, I can't stand this wafer thermostat. My DD can adjust it too easily and has roasted more then a few eggs, despite getting in trouble for doing so. [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You will love the Hovabator 1588. Do get the turner. You don't have to constantly fuss with the eggs several times a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by