Genetic anomaly all male chicks?

ThymeStandsStill

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
I can't find anything online describing this happening. I have a single roo and a small flock of hens. We successfully incubated nine eggs. Later one of the hens went broody and we allowed her to hatch four more chicks. I wasn't concerned about sexing them when they were young, but as they've grown I've been assessing the count of obvious roosters. Every time I count them that number goes up as more and more long tail feathers develop. It's becoming more and more obvious that every single chick this rooster produced is male. Has anyone heard of this? I suppose it's possible he only has successful sperm which are male chromosomes which makes me wonder about a genetic anomaly or some other condition. I wasn't sure where to post this so I chose it because this forum includes genetic issues. If I should post it somewhere else please let me know where.

With small sample sizes statistical norms can be greatly skewed. The other factor resulting in abnormally high cockerels is poor incubation/low hatch rate. Male chicks are heartier and if there is a problem with incubation tend to hatch out more than the pullets.

You should post photos of birds in "what breed or gender" forum. There you can get confirmation or contrasting opinion of what gender they are. Long tail feathers are not an indication unless they are old enough to be growing sickle feathers and by that age you'd know what sex they were anyway.

Avian sex genetics are reverse of mammalian sex genetics, in birds the female determines sex because she possesses the differentiating chromosome, the male has like chromosomes as in mammalian females and plays no part in the determination of sex other than females.
Don't chop the rooster's head off, it's the hen's fault.

Blessings,

Bo

I’ve always read that the hen’s contribution that determines the sex of chicks. I have individual hens that produce more cockrells vs hens, more hens vs cockrells, or 50/50 no matter what rooster they’re paired with. Seems to be consistent with every hatch from each individual hen too rather than just a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom