1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetic calculator

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by osukrazykate, Dec 9, 2009.

1. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

So I am thinking about building a spreadsheet calculator for genetics. I am still learning whenever I can about the genetics and different scenarios. I know there are suppose to be some calculators out there already, but I have a hard time understanding them or getting them to work. Anybody who would like to put their two sense worth is more than welcomed to. Once I get it going I will need some testers to tell me if I have it on the right track. I am thinking of making different areas for the different breeds, I know that is a lot right, but hey it sounds like a fun project to me. And I can learn as I go.

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    So do you want to make a cheat sheet or a working programm?
    I happen to know the people who made the existing chook calculators.

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's the one I use, and I love it, pretty easy to follow.
    Select your cock and hen, go to
    the calculator,
    click
    calculate crossing
    and your done,
    then it will allow you to either cross back offspring to parents, or offspring to offspring as well

very nice!

4. osukrazykate

I was thinking of making a working calculator, not just a cheat sheet. Maybe even something that I can make to keep track of the flock, matings, and anything else I think up along the way. I like statistics and programming in Excel, and I seem to have a hard time to get the other calculators to work if there site is even up or working right or is in another language. Maybe even something that can go in reverse to get an outcome sought after.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    the kip one or whatever it is called does all that and more, it just takes a while to get used to and the english directions are not that great.

6. osukrazykate

Quote:I would like something that is in English and easy to understand. That way it isn't as frustrating trying to use the calculator. I don't want to step on anybodies toes of work already done, just would like to see if I can make one that may not be as hard to figure out.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Dont blame ya there, shoot I say go for it!

8. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Its worth a try!! [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:yep I agree [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I really like Henk's calculator. he's gone to extra length to try to make it user friendly. I do agree that it is not completely intuitive, but I am a hands-on try it out person, and it is pretty easy to figure out. Don;t be afraid to try pushing the buttons; I promise, nothing will explode [​IMG] the worst thta will happen is that you will figure out the result of a variety cross in which you are not interested [​IMG]

I just don't think excel is capable of creating as complete a calculator. Now combining a calculator and a bird database--that is an awesome idea. And I also liked (and previously suggested) the idea of a reverse function.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by