Genetic color question regarding making sex-links ;)

Cowgirl71

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Missouri Ozarks
I have a mixed breed rooster that I really like, colored very much like a RSL hen, and I believe he has a red gene and a dominant white gene, so I can't use him to produce sex-link chicks.
sad.png
If I were to cross him with RIR and RSL hens, would any red columbian (RIR color) cockerels I'd get from this cross make Black Sex-Link chicks? In other words, is it possible for a red columbian bird to hide dominant white or barred? I'd really like a son from this rooster to make my sex-link chicks.
wink.png

One other similar question... My neighbor up the road has a BO rooster in with BO and BSL hens. If I were to hatch eggs from these birds, is it true that any of the cockerels could be used to make Black Sex-Links? Because apparently Black Sex-Link pullets don't carry the barring gene...

I know these are kinda complicated questions, please let me know if there's anything I need to clarify. Thank you!

Acutally you could use your roo you have now for making RED sexlinks, just not Black Sexlinks, remember the Dom White only covers the black so as long as your roo is pure for Gold genes, ( which he should be if he is what I think you are describing, I've had some like that before too.) Anyway as long as he is pure for gold, then crossing him with Silver geneed hens would give you Red Sexlings, and depending on the genes of the roo, some of the pullets may come out White tailed Red Columbian like your roo and some may come out Red Columbian like a RIR.

But dont use him for Black Sexlinks like I said becuase since Black is the main color involed, it will be covered but the white leaving a mostly solid white bird.

And Yes to your second question, a BO or BO X BSL roo on barred hens will make black Sexlinks. As long as the hen is barred and the roo is NOT barred, and NOT hiding barring under Rec. or Dom white, which it wouldnt be in this case, then any breed or crossbreed will work for producing Black Sexlinks.

Same with the Red Sexlinks, even if both parents are mutts, as long as the roo is PURE Gold gened and the hens are Silver gened, they will produce Red Sexlinks

Last edited:
Thank you!

My mixed breed rooster is (I believe): white EE/RIR x NHR. His coloring is exactly like a NHR, except he has a white tail and some white in his wing feathers. Sorry, I don't have a pic of him, and he looks awful right now because he's molting... I think he has a red gene and a dominant white gene because here's a pic of his daughter (and I KNOW that her dam was a RIR or BR):
48412_liesls_pics_533.jpg

I REALLY like this rooster (his pullets mature fast and lay really well and are very large and plump), but I don't think he can make Black Sex-Links with my Barred Rock hens, right? So I was hoping to cross him with some RSL or RIR hens, and hopefully get a red columbian rooster sired by him to make my Black Sex-Link chicks. Could a red columbian mixed breed rooster hide a white gene? Thank you!

You know what, I think the hen you have pictured is a"Black" sexlink hen from the Barred Rock mother, lol Thats so cool, look at her, she has red in the right places that a normal black sexlink hen would have the red coloring, and where a normal black sexlink hen would be black, she is has white in those places. Just like how it would work in a red columbian, the red would be the same, but the black in the tail and hackles would be replaced by white instead of black. That is too cool, thanks for posting that pic of her, I am gonna have to try making some of those one day. If that is what she is, and its almost got to be, then technically she is a Sexlink, just with the white it would be really hard to sex, your roos would be mostly solid white but may so some faint "ghost Barring" like the one I ended up with in the picture.

This roo what an accidental cross, ( well they did it on purpose but I didnt breed for it, lol) but he is from a barred sexlink roo from a BO X Barred Rock cross on my RIWhite hens that I was using to make my golden sexlinks. He got the barring from his dad and the Dom white from the RIW mom.

37373_w_bar_roo_2.jpg

37373_w_bar_roo.jpg

These were the parents
37373_100_5675.jpg

Quote:
You should be able to breed birds that are like RIR from the male after 1 or 2 crosses. If the male carries birchen- you will have to breed out the birchen gene to produce a bird that is a true RIR type bird. The down color of the offspring will let you know if the birds are the correct genotype.

chicks with reddish down ( look in the sticky on sex links) will work as adult males to do sex linked crosses. If the offspring have black backs- you can not use them as adults in a red sex linked cross.

Tim

RAREROO, you think she's a "Black" Sex-Link, huh? I see what you mean, with the red where it would be on a BSL, but white instead of black... Cool! As a chick she was white with a yellow throat and three black spots on the top of her head. Does this change your guess?

Here's a pic of "Reggie."
smile.png
This pic doesn't do him justice. Earlier this year he was SO handsome. He's still recovering from molting and trying to regrow his tail and neck feathers.
wink.png

48412_liesls_pics_611.jpg

Tadkerson, I'm planning to use Reggie or his son to make Black Sex-Links with Barred Rock hens. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier... Does your advice still apply? Here's a few pics of my 6-month-old Buff Orpington x Barred Rock Sex-Link pullets. Sorry for not getting you the pics sooner...
48412_liesls_pics_602.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_585.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_575.jpg

So far I am very excited about this cross! I'm really hoping that I won't have a bunch of broodies next summer.
fl.gif
If about a third of them went broody and were great mommas that would be perfect for me!
tongue.png

Nope, it doesnt change my guess at all, that color is about what I would expect it to be.

And your roo looks AWESOME, I can hardly tell that he is molting.

And your sexlink hens look cool too, I had some from that cross before but I sold them before they started laying.

Reggie is looking a whole lot better. A week ago he had very few neck feathers, but they're just about done coming in now. He's still bald around the ear lobes though.
roll.png

Your ghost barred rooster is really neat! Are you planning to keep him or send him to freezer camp? Your BSL roo is really pretty too! I'm amazed how differently colored BO x BR and RIR X BR sex-links are from each other, as chicks and later too.

If I were to breed Reggie with some Barred Rock hens, what would you guess I'd get? Any sex-links?

Back
Top Bottom