genetic/color question

coleandkatie14

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 7, 2014
I have a few questions for all the peafowl smart people out there , heres what I have

-indian blue male
-black shoulder male
-cameo white eye female

1....what does white eye mean
2....whats the possible offspring of the above crosses

if someone can chime in and answers my questions thatd be great

im just getting back into peafowl an trying to get a better understanding of the colors

thanks...cole

Last edited:
Dany might be right, do you have a frontal shot showing the neck and breast? I noticed a little white edging on its neck feathers, that's what makes me think dany might be right. Didn't birdrain's pied last year have the similar characteristics?

As for the mottling in cameo hens, I'm with that being moulting. If it was w/e, I would think that some feathers would be tipped in white.

Thanks DylansMom,
So, what would the two offspring hens(shown above) be called? and what would the other 75% of this 3rd generation be? and I'm asking allot, I know, but the white is called what, on paper?
I appreciate it, really.
frow.gif

Dad carries a "normal" gene and a white gene( we'll say N W), mom carries a "normal" gene and a pied gene(we'll say N P), this makes them split to. In theory they should produce 1/4 (N N) offspring or India Blue, 1/4 would be (N P) like mom, 1/4 would be (N W) like dad, and 1/4 would be (P W) These are the Pied daughters, Pieds need 1 white gene and 1 pied gene to fully express the pied pattern and the daughters do. Now actual breeding results are never a match to the on paper results, eggs break or don't hatch, and many other variables skew things. If we took the (P W) daughters and bred back to the (N W) dad we would expect 1/4 (N P) like grand/mom, 1/4 (N W) like dad, 1/4 (P W) Pieds, and 1/4 (W W) all white. And they are simply called "Whites" they are not albinos.
highfive.gif

I have a few questions for all the peafowl smart people out there , heres what I have

-indian blue male
-black shoulder male
-cameo white eye female

White-eyed means that the bird carries a mutation that causes "white eyes" in the train of a male. A single copy of the gene produces some white eyes in the train, whereas a double copy will produce all white eyes in the train. In females, you generally get what is commonly called here as frosting on the back of the hen.
No matter what male you use, all offspring will look like Indian blue. Depending on whether the hen is carrying one copy or two copies of the white-eyed gene will determine whether all the offspring inherit a single copy or whether 1/2 the offspring inherit a single copy. All male offspring will be split to cameo (meaning that when they are able to breed, 1/2 of their female offspring will be cameo). You can only get a male cameo by then breeding a son back to your female (or buy a cameo male). If you are using the Blackshoulder male, all offspring will also be split to Blackshoulder. They carry 1/2 of the components required for a bird to be visually Blackshoulder. It may turn out that you are very lucky and your hen is also split to Blackshoulder, making it easier to breed for cameo Blackshoulder white-eyed.

My apologies if this is strung out, but with the birds you have, you end up with a lot of splits (birds that look Indian blue, but carry the genes for other patterns or colours). It is recommended that you have a goal in mind when breeding splits, but don't let that stop you from breeding these birds together. I find it fun sometimes when I get a new bird and discover that it has hidden genes!

im just getting back into peafowl an trying to get a better understanding of the colors

thanks...cole

I have a few questions for all the peafowl smart people out there , heres what I have

-indian blue male
-black shoulder male
-cameo white eye female

thanks...cole

White eye is a pattern mutation/variation that causes white spots to appear in the center of the eyes in a Peacocks train, on a hen it will look like a bunch of her feathers have white frosted tips. Both males are blue and that is dominant over the cameo color, so all offspring will be blue, if the hen carries 2 copies of White Eye all offspring will get 1 copy and be split to WE.

IB male x Cameo WE hen = all blue offspring split to WE and males will be split to Cameo as well, hens cannot be split to Cameo because it is a sex-linked color.

IB BS male x Cameo WE hen + all offspring will be blue and split to WE as well as split to BS and males will be spit to Cameo.

IB have barred wings as their pattern it is dominant over the Black Shouldered pattern which is actually solid wings, that is why offspring will have barred wings not Black shoulder solid wings.

Hope that wasn't too confusing........ . welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Looks like we were both answering that one at the same time. I'm being told this guy probably has a bunch of splits going on. He's 4 months and he has 2 BS wing feathers coming out of nowhere, any thoughts?

Apologies for sidetracking your thread Cole!

It seems to me to be fairly easy to distinguish a White Eye IB hen but how difficult is it to tell on a Cameo? The mottling of white, tans, and cream colors, as beautiful as they are, still confuse me.

I had an IBBS hen who was 10 years old when she produced this chick. This is how I found out she was carrying White Eye. It was not visible on a BS hen.

It also could be ... a SHE ! With some green blood .... a Spalding ! ( brown feathers on the head ).

With all the stripes and the male pattern on the BS feathers do you really think it could be a hen? I don't think it has any green blood, but I can't be positive of that.

Back
Top Bottom