Genetic dummy help with Lemon Blue

Ok. Again thanks! It’s clearer in my head now. I’m not 100% sure my Brown Red rooster is fertile which is why I got the LB rooster to go with the LB hen. I might just stick a black hen with the BR for a month or so and see if any of her eggs get fertilized At least that way I’ll know if he’s worth keeping for next year when I hopefully have some girls for him from the LB pair. I really appreciate the help. Someday I’ll get the hang of chicken color genetics. Lol

Someday I’ll get the hang of chicken color genetics. Lol

There's a lot of it, but you don't need to learn everything. I'm sure you'll learn the bits and pieces that matter for your breeding projects-- as you pointed out at the beginning, you already know how black/blue/splash works, and that's one of the main bits that will matter for this project :)

Personally, I find some of the names even more puzzling than the genetics of it all. Whyever do we have Birchen, Brown Red, and Lemon Blue? I would much rather call them Silver Birchen, Gold Birchen, and Blue Gold Birchen!

Oh, I just realized: if you could find a hen that is Birchen but with Blue or Splash: crossing her to your Brown Red Rooster should give you more Lemon Blue pullets. I'm not sure what you'd call that color of hen, but genetically it would work nicely. (Cockerels would have silver, which isn't what you want, but pullets would be right.)

Back
Top Bottom