Genetic Problems Associated with Certain Breeds?

I'm sorry but I've never heard of it being because of the pea comb. I don't see why it would. Now, I do see it being because show/heritage Cornish have a tight genepool.

Rumplessness can hinder fertility, yes, but honestly in my findings it is because some rumpless Araucanas really don't have the greatest backs, some are just way too short too, - And another issue can be too many hens to one male. I had a cuckoo hen who's never given me a chick, but, I believe it was mainly her fault. The male breeding her has given me lots of Olive Eggers, which would seem harder being that he was breeding a tailed bird, and then I've got a few other females who've always given me excellent, near or at 100% fertility rates. And I notice a pattern in back/rump shape too when it comes to comparing fertility rate.

But in general yes, rumplessness often decreases fertility mainly because of breeding ease.

On this question of genetic problems associated with breeds (very interesting! thanks for all your posts!), I'm wondering whether certain crosses tend to have specific troubles, too, due to the mix? For instance, anyone heard of any problems associated with crossing an Ameraucana/Araucana/Easter Egger with a White Leghorn, or a Buff Orpington with a White Leghorn, for example?

Thanks for your interesting input.

Clare

Quote:
I have heard of silkies being born without skulls, which could be false of course.
and also there are issues with inbreeding and weak genes in many breeds and lines.
There is the stilt leg issue in some moderns(not an inherited gene, i believe.)

Yes, the crested ducks we're used to seeing are only half-crested (Cr+/cr)

You can have a Full Crested duck, you just can't breed homozygous to homozygous to get them.
If you breed homozygous to homozygous then all the ducklings will die in the shell.

Chris

The issue with fertility in Cornish games is conformation, not the comb type. The preferred show conformation can make it difficult for the male to get his job done. Some breeders use AI to overcome this.

I've never heard of cockerels having a predisposition to pendulous crop.

I don't have any scientific literature to back it up, but I believe that Cornish Cross have weak immune systems due to excessive inbreeding. You could attribute their lack of normal chicken behavior, fast growth, and resulting health problems (heart failure, lung problems, liver problems, leg problems) to genetics, since these are all a result of traits they are bred for.

Hi, Chicken Obsessed,

It's cockatiels that have the tendency to pendulous crop. I know they aren't chickens, but I'm wondering whether there are some breeds of chickens that also have this tendency. I read in an article I now can't find that either Araucanas, Ameraucanas, or EE type chickens do, but I can't remember which it was. I have also heard that Blue Orpingtons may possibly have a tendency in this direction as well? Anyone have any experience with any of these breeds having pendulous crops, either hens or cockerels?

Back
Top Bottom