Genetic Research on Charcoal Peafowl!

This is a great idea. I hope you are able to get accurate information, I think that's going to be a problem. I'm not sure it matters how "pure" the IB is to compare. A lot of the "information" we have right now is anecdotal.

I think there is confusion about how "pure" is being used in this context. From the perspective of this research, "pure IB" means "not being split for any color or pattern mutation". It doesn't mean "not having any Green blood". If you want to investigate how the Charcoal mutation affects female fertility, you need to have a control that doesn't have this mutation -- and preferably no other color or pattern mutation which may also carry health effects, like the Cameo "death gene". The control group would need to be pure from a trait perspective, not a species perspective. Ideally, you want the only important difference being having or not having the Charcoal mutation. That both groups also have a dash of Green blood wouldn't make a difference.

:)

This is a great idea. I hope you are able to get accurate information, I think that's going to be a problem. I'm not sure it matters how "pure" the IB is to compare. A lot of the "information" we have right now is anecdotal.

What's the problem you're thinking may come up?

I think there is confusion about how "pure" is being used in this context. From the perspective of this research, "pure IB" means "not being split for any color or pattern mutation". It doesn't mean "not having any Green blood". If you want to investigate how the Charcoal mutation affects female fertility, you need to have a control that doesn't have this mutation -- and preferably no other color or pattern mutation which may also carry health effects, like the Cameo "death gene". The control group would need to be pure from a trait perspective, not a species perspective. Ideally, you want the only important difference being having or not having the Charcoal mutation. That both groups also have a dash of Green blood wouldn't make a difference.

That's what I'm going for. Thank you for explaining. Bad on my part though for not clarifying. To rephrase I'm hoping to do genome testing on IB peafowl that are close to the original. As in not split to color or pattern, and no pattern mutation. I will probably use my pair of IBs and a few others from different flocks hopefully. I don't need many birds I just want a couple. Every bird does have slight differences, but as traits and genes as a whole they're very similar. Then Charcoals I'm wanting just the Charcoal color, no pattern or splits.

Remember that in otherwise "normal"-looking IB birds, stray white feathers could mean being split to White or Pied -- especially if they're located on the throat.

I am unaware of any scientific research being done on peafowl. Unlike many of the horse breeds that do extensive blood testing as a requirement for registration, I am also unaware of this in peafowl. It may just be my lack of knowledge, but if it isn't, then finding peas with known and verified pedigrees is going to be hard. I don't know if the knowledge is out there and just not readily available or if the research hasn't been done. I hope you are able to get funding to do this, it would be great for your future and even better for peafowl owners.

I am unaware of any scientific research being done on peafowl. Unlike many of the horse breeds that do extensive blood testing as a requirement for registration, I am also unaware of this in peafowl.  It may just be my lack of knowledge, but if it isn't, then finding peas with known and verified pedigrees is going to be hard. I don't know if the knowledge is out there and just not readily available or if the research hasn't been done. I hope you are able to get funding to do this, it would be great for your future and even better for peafowl owners.

The professor and I have never seen a genome map already done on peafowl before. So we may be the first at that as well. I raise horses so I know what you're talking about. I'm hoping that the breeders I'm trying to get in contact with have a pedigree that says something like: I bred Charcoal male #1 to IB hen #1. Then I took the hen chick #3 from this crossing and bred to back to Charcoal male #1. This gave me Charcoal male #2. I bred Charcoal male #2 back to hen #2 which, was a hen that came from Charcoal male #1 and IB hen #1. I hope that made sense. The genetic professor said I could apply for an undergraduate research grant to fund it. So I also need to do that. So I have 2 things to do get done before he gets back and then I will need his help about the grant stuff, more than likely. Then I can get to genome testing

Is there a historical .... where the mutation appeared ... parents were what color?
I don't know if I'll be able to find a pedigree that traces back all the way back to the original Charcoal. If so that would be cool but I'm thinking if I get a pedigree, it will only show a few generations. That's if I can get pedigrees.

Clifton L Nicholson, Jr. knows .... for sure!

http://www.clnjr.com/creating_new_peafowl_colors.html
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
no date !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom