genetically altered meat birds

I also thought that I would add that if people think it is wrong to mix animals genes and stuff of the sort, and people dislike human effects on nature. Take into account what us happening to pandas. They are losing numbers. Scientists can save them. They take a pandas reproductive cells and place them into an animal that would make a good mom, like a black bear at a zoo. The black bear can have the panda babies and raise them and ultimately increase the number of pandas. This is genetic engineering for the cause of the future. And so are genetically modified market animals.

I don't eat pandas. ;)

It is actually the corporate patenting and control of food that disturbs me. A decrease in biodiversity and genetic diversity is disturbing, but we've been working on that one for a while with habitat destruction. Hence pandas getting down and dirty with pipettes.

I also thought that I would add that if people think it is wrong to mix animals genes and stuff of the sort, and people dislike human effects on nature. Take into account what us happening to pandas. They are losing numbers. Scientists can save them. They take a pandas reproductive cells and place them into an animal that would make a good mom, like a black bear at a zoo. The black bear can have the panda babies and raise them and ultimately increase the number of pandas. This is genetic engineering for the cause of the future. And so are genetically modified market animals.

That sounds like "using a surrogate mother" -- not genetic engineering. At least I'd hope there is no black bear DNA in the panda babies. Do you have a link to an article or study about it?

It's done all the time in horses where the mare is too valuable to take out of competition or risk with a pregnancy.

-Wendy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom