genetically altered meat birds

I know that genes are strands of chromosomes and DNA and etc, was just trying to dumb it down for those that might not know all that. The use of "gene guns" alone doesn't tell me much of anything. Mixing chicken genes with human genes, now, that's a different story. Where did you read that?

I might note that this still does not change the fact that NO current chickens are altered genetically. Which was my original point. You cited laboratory testing as an exception. That is not an exception, no chickens currently raised for commercial production are genetically altered. If you refute that, please tell me how, not some experimental something that is being used somewhere for research. Sources please, because I would be very interested in reading about it or seeing the video. "On the TV I don't know what the episode was" isn't good enough.

I've yet to hear of a chicken egg that immunizes me against the flu. What is your source for that? Are they widely available?

for example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1539535/Modified-hens-lay-eggs-to-help-beat-cancer.html Although I have to admit, meat is the issue here, right? Flu thing was a projection, I didn't realize I needed to cite ideas. Why are you so concerned with my opinion? Have you ever heard the phrase: Gotta let a ho be a ho? So if you think I'm the village idiot, and you love a store bought broiler...............................
I hope your engineered ISA Brown is delicious, they go great with Montsano corn.

Silkie Chicken: What? Disregard pertinent information and ideas? So disappointed, I thought I was going to have some banter from someone who doesn't seem defensive of other ideas.

Part of me is hoping you're an optimist, and believe things aren't getting out of hand in the lab, which is why you care about the time line of this thread.

The Chicken whisperer Show where the ISA Brown geneticist talks about his gene gun is Either January 25, or 26th. That week the features just state, Live From Poultry Show.

Last edited:
I realize that as of right now genetically modified meat has not been added to the commercial stores but here is the problem that I am having with the whole thing. According to the article, which was created last August it states that when and if the government approves this they will not be marking the genetically modified foods in the grocery stores. They will just be added as another chicken or another salmon steak. I want to know what I'm eating thank you very much.

Off topic, just wondering, do you work at the University?

Didn't keep up or read the whole thread, but DNA is just a pile of nucleic acids, which contains codes for genes. Most DNA is what is often considered "garbage" or has no known function and does not code for any gene per say. DNA is bound to histones, making a nuclesome, that can bundle up to make the ever so recognizable condensed chromosomes we see pictures of.

A gene gun is just another method to deliver DNA, usually plasmid DNA.

I've never used a gene gun myself, just transfection via chemical or electrical means.

I am all for eating whatever you want. Free will, all that. Cheers to twinkies. Here's my issue, which is likely from living in the NW, where Frankensalmon is a hot topic. What if you are farming salmon, chicken, whatever, that are modified, and some get out into the world and reproduce?

As far as ISA browns go, if you buy them, you are basically giving the ok to mess with what was already a perfect chicken.

I got new Hampshire And Delewares and I crossed them for 6 generations then breed dark Cornish into them! Now I have huge chickens and good laying chickens! I plan on breeding different breeds to get the best dual purpose bird out there! Very delicious chickens to!

for example:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1539535/Modified-hens-lay-eggs-to-help-beat-cancer.html  Although I have to admit, meat is the issue here, right?    Flu thing was a projection, I didn't realize I needed to cite ideas.  Why are you so concerned with my opinion?  Have you ever heard the phrase:  Gotta let a ho be a ho?   So if you think I'm the village idiot, and you love a store bought broiler...............................
I hope your engineered ISA Brown is delicious, they go great with Montsano corn.

Silkie Chicken:   What?  Disregard pertinent information and ideas?  So disappointed, I thought I was going to have some banter from someone who doesn't seem defensive of other ideas.

Part of me is hoping you're an optimist, and believe things aren't getting out of hand in the lab, which is why you care about the time line of this thread.

The Chicken whisperer Show where the ISA Brown geneticist talks about his gene gun is  Either January 25, or 26th.   That week the features just state, Live From Poultry Show.

My point is, none of the meat in the stores RIGHT NOW are from genetically altered birds. No, I dont' love that chicken, I love the meat from my Orp cockerels the best. I'm just trying to stop any alarmist "OMG THESE BIRDS ARE GMO" stuff.

I agree with let a chicken be a chicken, and so far, in the USA, they are. That was my only point.

Are they working on modifiying birds? Probably. Should that be stopped? YES! But we aren't buying genetically altered birds YET. NOT NOW. Again, that's my point.

Last edited:
What I wrong with genetically enhancing something. Ever heard of gene therapy? Someone can have thier genes modified to correct an illness, or structural, or growth problem. The commercial industry in the USA for agriculturists is what makes the USA unique. It goes back to colonial times... The USA being the land everyone wanted for its ideal agriculture structure. We produce not only America's food but the worlds food as well. We have to be able to keep up with the world. That is why battery cages were invented and why broilers cannot reproduce( for thier perfect gene combo from normal parents). We must keep up with demand. We altered our cultivation techniques to do so an that is why we are important for the world to eat. If everyone wasted money on backyard, organic, and free range it would not benefit anyone, except ourselves. The techniques for these measures are underdeveloped in production compared to the commercial way of production.

It is know by many fanciers that turkeys are immune to mereks disease. We have taken this and applied it to raising birds. Turkey poults are raised sometimes with chicks in the hopes that the chick will consume turkey manure and ultimately build a natural immunity to mereks. We have found a way to cure a disease. Is it wrong that the chicken ate the turkey poop? No, and the chicken did benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom