genetically altered meat birds

Quote:
AW, I need to apologixe to you and all others, I should have stayed out of the debate entirely, and instead not only got in but off track.. Please forgive.

Apologies, apologies... Steve, I just know you through cyber space but it seems you have a big heart. Have yet to see you get heated over a debate, bigger things in life to worry about right? Keep on my friend.... keep on.

I don't know if can enter this thread at this late date but...

I was raised on a strict diet of religion and science fiction (separately) so I believe in both. I would have no problem eating a genetically modified animal - a tasty, healthy fast growing chicken the size of a horse or carving dinner from a vat of muscle tissue. (A la gyro style
wink.png
)

HOWEVER!

I firmly believe that humans will make decisions based on financial motivation rather than on what is best (morally, ethically, ideologically etc... )
If I could believe that a corporation would take the time to "do it right" (which I don't) and install adequate safeguards (whatever they might be) and not hurt anyone or anything in the process - then bring em on!

The likelihood of the above conditions occurring is too small to even consider so for now - keep all dem genes in the animals in which they belong.

And as a last minute edit - concerning likelihoods - the (un-study-able long term effects of this (on humans, animals & environment) also concern me.

Last edited:
We have already tampered with nature so much does it really matter if we start genetically engineering food? If this is all about money as a lot of you are suggesting wouldn't they look at the safety hazards? I imagine lawsuits from a bunch of sick people would be a deterrent from just experimenting on the general public. Also, they still need to get approval next year so I'm sure if there's too many risks they won't get approval. I think the beneficial possibilities far outweigh the negative possibilities. I can't really fathom eating a genetically engineered fish and having a vine grow out of my ear. I think people just fear the unknown.

-
Quote:
I'm sorry I cannot agree with this statement cupman. Corporations have funds to settle lawsuits. They put money aside so when they get sued they can settle (or fight). They will run a calculation and see if it is more cost effective to settle the lawsuits or fix the problem with the product.

I'm not worried about
Quote:
I'm worried about eating a genetically engineered fish and 20 years later developing (or my grand children developing) some malady because the left out (or included) something crucial that was not cost effective or was unseen at the time.

How many hundreds of times have we heard about a corporation that damaged a community to make a buck? Why should genetic engineering be any different?

People do fear the unknown, but there are also plenty of examples of unintended consequences to warn us of how bad things can happen from supposedly good ideas. Lawsuits from sick people is way too late. For example, look at the things that happened with thalidomide. People thought it was safe to take for morning sickness, and ended up with deformed babies. It's not the things we can think of to worry about, but the things we can't imagine.

And tobacco companies have known that their product has had cancer causing effects since the 50s, but the product is still being sold. It's very much consumer beware. There's a warning on the side of the packages, but it's still being sold and people still buy. How long do you think the bad effects from genetically modified foods will be known for before anything would be done to fix it, if that would even be possible?

Quote:
Bingo. Let my Chicken have chicken genes only and my corn have only corn genes, please. I'm not a Luddite, I just don't think enough is known about this.

Quote:
They all use virii as a vehicle to get the gene to splice. No way on earth I'd want any of those in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom