Genetics 🧬

goatsandpeacocks

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2022
How do i breed the khaki, fawn, chocolate, blue, cuckoo, heck duck wing from my flock of white, chocolate, dun, and mille fleur? my rooster is chocolate so i can make chocolate that way but how do you get it when breeding two blacks or something?

You can't just breed stuff into a flock from birds that don't carry the genes wanted.
You either have to know what genes your birds have or test breed to find out. Once you've established what genes you have then you can go about using certain ones or eliminating certain ones to make different colors/patterns.

Attachments

• 13CDDD01-42C5-4F31-B0EE-9C035E28F04A.jpeg
    13CDDD01-42C5-4F31-B0EE-9C035E28F04A.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 72548D85-4D01-4C41-8C1A-49A818FC6A33.jpeg
    72548D85-4D01-4C41-8C1A-49A818FC6A33.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 1
  • A6900F69-E738-4E05-B04E-79528DE31128.jpeg
    A6900F69-E738-4E05-B04E-79528DE31128.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 261D8975-D1D3-48F1-9093-5D5C8BC257AA.jpeg
    261D8975-D1D3-48F1-9093-5D5C8BC257AA.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4C9A0EE8-36AD-4801-ABAD-72796D9E0051.png
    4C9A0EE8-36AD-4801-ABAD-72796D9E0051.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • AE38EE18-8D3D-464A-9EC6-28E39E0CFF06.jpeg
    AE38EE18-8D3D-464A-9EC6-28E39E0CFF06.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 2
You can't just breed stuff into a flock from birds that don't carry the genes wanted.
You either have to know what genes your birds have or test breed to find out. Once you've established what genes you have then you can go about using certain ones or eliminating certain ones to make different colors/patterns.
Thank you for answering, where should i go to get them tested? i’m very new to all this so i didn’t even know you could test chickens

My last girl is growing back feathers from an attack along with brown with white tail rooster
Do you want to only produce pure colors or are you fine with mixed colors? If you want to produce pure colors I would get a black pair and cross them to the chocolates and duns to produce more chocolates, duns, and eventually khakis.

The “problem” with mixed colors is that if you mix chocolate and dun (for example), you’ll have a very hard time telling which chicks are chocolate, which are dun, and which are both. That doesn’t really matter though if you just want to get some nice colors.
Thank you for answering, where should i go to get them tested? i’m very new to all this so i didn’t even know you could test chickens
Test breeding isn’t about a test, it’s more about crossing chickens with other varieties to figure out what genetics they carry. For instance, crossing a recessive white with a black can help you figure out if the black carries recessive white or not.

Do you want to only produce pure colors or are you fine with mixed colors? If you want to produce pure colors I would get a black pair and cross them to the chocolates and duns to produce more chocolates, duns, and eventually khakis.

The “problem” with mixed colors is that if you mix chocolate and dun (for example), you’ll have a very hard time telling which chicks are chocolate, which are dun, and which are both. That doesn’t really matter though if you just want to get some nice colors.

Test breeding isn’t about a test, it’s more about crossing chickens with other varieties to figure out what genetics they carry. For instance, crossing a recessive white with a black can help you figure out if the black carries recessive white or not.
Ah i didn’t know if it was like with going to the breed association and testing cattle my bad 😅 I think i’d try mixed breeding currently as i’m not trying to show. I’m interested with experimenting genes over anything else

Ah i didn’t know if it was like with going to the breed association and testing cattle my bad 😅 I think i’d try mixed breeding currently as i’m not trying to show. I’m interested with experimenting genes over anything else
Well, that opens up some possibilities! You’ll get a lot of mixed colors, but you could also potentially get: chocolate mille fleur, dun mille fleur, chocolate mottled, dun mottled, black mottled, red columbian, chocolate red columbian (basically red with chocolate tail feathers), dun red columbian, and khaki red columbian. To get khaki, you’ll have to cross two duns, meaning you’ll have to produce another dun by crossing your existing dun to another color. You’ll probably get some partridges and maybe some silvers in your crosses too since many silkies carry partridge. You won’t be able to breed anything with duckwing, blue, or cuckoo, because those genes aren’t present in your breeding stock.

Well, that opens up some possibilities! You’ll get a lot of mixed colors, but you could also potentially get: chocolate mille fleur, dun mille fleur, chocolate mottled, dun mottled, black mottled, red columbian, chocolate red columbian (basically red with chocolate tail feathers), dun red columbian, and khaki red columbian. To get khaki, you’ll have to cross two duns, meaning you’ll have to produce another dun by crossing your existing dun to another color. You’ll probably get some partridges and maybe some silvers in your crosses too since many silkies carry partridge. You won’t be able to breed anything with duckwing, blue, or cuckoo, because those genes aren’t present in your breeding stock.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom