Genetics - Artificial Insemination... How do you do it...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by texascowboy1979, Jan 13, 2010.

1. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I respect your opinion however, my birds DO breed naturally I just AI when my show females are laying and and I want to keep them condition. No need to shred my girls up and fertility is almost guarenteed.

Shari

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Point taken Shari. I often over look that aspect of things.

3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

AI is a great way to protect your hen from an AGRESSIVE male, but im doing it to learn the aspects of AI in the event its ever needed, i can say I know how... but right now i have no clue... I enjoy learning new things.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Learn something new here everyday.

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Wow, I was just wondering how that was done! Thank you!

6. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I had an experienced neighbor do it for me back when I had a Blue Andalusian hen who was determined to die a virgin combined with a Blue Andalusian Roo who refused to expend more energy during his day than absolutely necessary.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    very very interesting, the non-scientific side of my brain screams ICKY . . . but the other side is seeing possibilities . . .
    ok, Germain I'll do it if you help! But I still have to wash Dorries butt first!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    ROTHFLMAO!!!
    Ok Germain, I said I would do it BEFORE I watched the video LOL!!! those birds don't weigh 2 pounds . . . Dorrie weighs as much a five year old child, and 13 lb Adam is not going to hang there nicely between our fingers.
    It will take at least four of us to do this, my kids will probably commit me and some awful neighbor is going to turn us in . . .
    Hats off to that girl, great video but who would be helping us??? One person alone can't turn Dorrie upside down . . . oh jeez I need that, still laughing!
    If someone else does do it, please video tape for the rest of our learning it IS very interesting.

9. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Germain I'll do it if you help! But I still have to wash Dorries butt first!

Dang, that's funny!​

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    well, if the mud on Dorries back is any indication . . . I think the new ROO from Germain may not need any help after all! . . . WHEW!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by